Options

Some guidance

the.thrillseekersthe.thrillseekers Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple years now, recently I lost my job 4/2018 doing Desktop Support for an immigration law firm. I had been with the firm for 6 yrs. At age 41 I find myself now trying to learn something new, I'm no stranger to the CCNA I took the exam last summer 7/2017 and failed.

My reason for the post is this - how do I overcome the fear of failing again and also get into a rhythm like a lot of you guys/gals. I have Wendell Odoms official cert guide book, Chris Bryants Udemy course, latest Packet Tracer (7.2), I also have 4 routers 4 switches and an ASA 5540. So I got a lot of stuff compared some of the people on the board just wondering how do I start?

Thanks All for listening.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know a lot of people that have never taken the test because they didn't think they are ready. I say it is better to try and fail then to fail to try.

You have exposure to the exam and access to the tools needed to take it. You have 6 years experience and live near New York City. Sounds to me like you have skills, desire and opportunity. All you need to do now is start.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Material-wise you already have everything you need.

Just skip on everything you fill your days with, such as TV, vidya, friends, social networks, netflix, mindless internet browsing and even limit family time. Devote this free time to studying.

There's a detailed plan and techniques Cisco gives to adult learners, a short series of videos on how adult learners should approach the exams that rely heavily on memorization:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15800

Go over it, make notes, read your notes everyday in the morning, keep reviewing existing material and labbing.

Do smaller sessions of 20-25 mins of intense learning/memorizing/labbing and then do 10-15 min breaks doing some relax stuff, preferably not involving sitting at a PC.

Consider first doing ICND1 and then ICND2, don't try the full CCNA exam if you don't feel yourself confident.

Consider physical exercise, it disciplines, motivates and actually boosts your cognitive ability a little.

Consider getting on healthy diet if you aren't there already.

Consider checking some nootropics, they don't add much, unfortunately, but whatever little thing they do still helps and everything adds up. Also check your blood for various markers, such as excessive iron, low T, vitamin D deficiency, etc., research countermeasures and implement them.

Just keep starting doing it every day, even if you don't want to and perceive the output to be low and your mind to be wandering and unfocused. Just do it, like a robot. Starting doing something is hard, it's much easier to continue once it's got going.
  • Options
    the.thrillseekersthe.thrillseekers Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys...