Options

A Few Updates to Category Organization

MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 ■■■■■□□□□□
I hope everyone is having a great Sunday! 

I just made a few changes to category organization and names, including: 
The CISSP/SSCP thread is huge -- I'll plan on doing a few more rounds of cleanup in the coming weeks. If you see something posted in the wrong category, please tag me (or another mod) in a comment and we'll get it moved. 

Thanks!

-Meggo

Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
Who we are | What we do 

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks good, glad for the cleanup. I'd also suggest OSCP and OSCE topics get moved to the Offensive Security group under security certifications. You might also want to edit the name to include something like (OSCP / OSCE)
  • Options
    Good call! Thank you!
    Who we are | What we do 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I feel like Cloud Certifications should be moved out of "Others", made into a top-level category, make subcategories for the popular AWS certs (Architect Assoc/Pro, Developer Assoc/Pro, SysOp Assoc/Pro, and Security), and have a catch-all "Other AWS Certifications" category. 
  • Options
    What determines the top-level categories? Is it by the popularity (i.e., posting frequency)? Will SANS/GIAC, EC-Council, CWNP, and Offensive Security be getting their own TLCs too?
  • Options
    @JDMurray solid advice. It's currently based on popularity, as well as future goals for the forum (what we'd like to see grow). I would like for all of the certifications you listed to get their own top-level categories in time. 
    Who we are | What we do 
  • Options
    erazzerazz Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    I feel like Cloud Certifications should be moved out of "Others", made into a top-level category, make subcategories for the popular AWS certs (Architect Assoc/Pro, Developer Assoc/Pro, SysOp Assoc/Pro, and Security), and have a catch-all "Other AWS Certifications" category. 
    I agree with this as well.  Cloud is my future progress, so would like it's own category
  • Options
    I pulled Cloud out on it's own for now (and also moved Cloud+ & Cloud Essentials under it). Eventually, I'd like to completely switch to a vendor then cert organization style. In this case, AWS actually becomes it's own lvl 1 (Like CompTIA now, with specific AWS certifications under it). 

I'm waiting on a new feature from Vanilla to execute on this plan. Right now, you can only apply tags to discussions. Once you can apply tags to categories, we can organize the forum by vendor, and then members can also search by tags. In this case, you would put Cloud+ under CompTIA, but tag it as Cloud. Members could then search by cert focus or browse the forum by vendor. 

I think it's confusing to have some certs organized by vendor, and some by topic. 

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. 
    Who we are | What we do 
  • Options
    People look for certs by name, by vendor, or by subject area(s) covered. I think it's necessary that we give people a way to search for certs by these three attributes.
  • Options
    @EANx I moved a bunch of OSCP and OSCE threads to the Offensive Security category today. 

I will work on splitting the EC-Council thread next. 

Who we are | What we do