Options

70-291 books and a quick question

fredefrede Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I agree with many of you regarding the books. The EC2, which i will not waste my time reading, seems to be 30% shy of the topics one would need to study. The Syngress has so many errors that i lost faith and bailed after 75 pages. I am now down to the MS Press which seems ok i guess...we will see.

Now my question: Is the scientific calculator available when taking the 70-291 exam? It was available when i sat for the 70-290 last week, which i managed to pass even though the PC crashed 5 times - yep crashed after EVERY sim. Yes, I did pray during the reboots. Anyway, i just want to be sure about the calculator. I do not want any additional suprises.

Thanks
Fred

Comments

• Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    i am also wondering the same thing, would hate to have to manually do 2 to the nth power.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    yes the calc is there for all ms exams .

but surely you can do 2 to the nth power?

etc
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

Is it just me, or does all the studying for these exams make the brain more powerful - i mean not just for IT, but for anything. I studied for 4 weeks and passed 70-290, so i took a week long break before starting 70-291. During that time i read the manual that came with my new Digital SLR camera - was like a hot knife going through butter. Aperture, White Balance, Exposure, Sutter Speed, Depth of Field all made complete sense to me on the first read - a cake walk compared to this exam stuff.

Hmm... so really MS exams are your friend.

LOL
    Fred
  • Options
    solo79solo79 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_exclaim.gif NO! The scientific calc is NOT available on the 291 test!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only the standard windows calc. You will need to remember the charts and the mathmatics.......

I know cause the first time I took it, I was hot that I had read that it was available but it was not..... Then I read in the book, I don't remember which Exam Cram or MS Press that it was not. I finally passed on the second go without the sci calc.
    Finally ALL Done!!!!!!! MCSE:Messaging - Task Complete
  • Options
    BeefchiefBeefchief Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A good tip would be to write out the powers of 2 from right to left before/when the exam starts.

DON'T FORGET THE FIRST POWER OF 2 = 2^0 = 1!
  • Options
    iankfiankf Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Beefchief wrote:
    A good tip would be to write out the powers of 2 from right to left before/when the exam starts.

DON'T FORGET THE FIRST POWER OF 2 = 2^0 = 1!

Now im confused I use calculator to work out the powers of icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    of course i could do the powers manually, but if the calc is there i am going to use it :D

if it is there is yet to be seen, i'll try and find confirmation and get back with info...
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    feeling a bit silly but long time since done maths how do i work out the power to something icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    lol i found it out lol bad memory 2x2x2x2x2 dah
  • Options
    grey foxgrey fox Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can do 2nth power using the normal Windows calc.

Just do 2x2 and keep clicking = or Enter for the calculation you neeg

e.g. to calculate 2 to the power of 4 - enter 2x2 and click = or enter 3 times et voila.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    No doubt number power is easy, but that's not all the scientific can do for you. It is also good for other things like quick binary/decimal and dec/binary conversions. Is this stuff easy to do manually....sure, but it's also easy to make a stupid mistake. This exam has been rightfully descrided as a beast, so need one needs all the help one can get. Help meaning the not CHEATING kind of help.

I am still not 100% sure if the Windows scientific calc will be on the exam PC, Although "Solo79" seems to be sure very it is not. Guess i will go with that and plan for it not being there... unless i hear otherwise.

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    If you are able to use a calculator, then the exam will activate the Calculator button...they will determine what kind it is, you have no choice...just use whatever they give you. I took 291 a few months ago and don't recall the scientific calculator being available, just the standard one - Microsoft is not going to make it easy for us, we all know that. icon_confused.gif

The sims killed me on 291, but that's a different story. 'Nother topic, 'Nother time...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"