Options

Interview next Wednesday

jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
I have an interview next Wednesday for a company that I do not know much about and also a job-title that I am not sure what it is for. (Sad, huh?) I just checked my machine and it is a "Client Service" position. Any thoughts on what that means icon_confused.gif:

Do you think I would be out of line to contact one of the people I spoke with already to set up the interview and ask them for some more information about the position? Nothing like salary, but what the full title is and what duties and responsibilties are expected? icon_eek.gif

I've searched their site online, but they do not provide much detail there. I can get the general idea what they do (they deal with Robotics), but that's about all I found after my first visit to their site.

Anyway, do you guys think that is unprofessional to ask this information, or do I have the right to know what I'm going in for? icon_confused.gif

Thanks in advance! :D
Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To me, it sounds like Client Tech Support with the 'Tech Support' replaced with service. I would think that possibly the company sells a product (robotics in this case) and the Client Service person would then help the client with any support issues. Just my two cents.

Good luck in the interview!
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    If you are applying for this position, the employer assumes you know what you are applying for. Just my .02 cents.
  • Options
    That's kind of where I was leaning...Although Client Service could be a broad range of things. My Resume focuses on Help Desk/Network Support, so I'm hoping this one is something along those lines...I did some more searching on their site and they do not list this particular job under their career listing.

Also, I found out more of what they do...They offer a service to fast-food restaurants (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc...) that monitor traffic and pedestrian levels and, say, that a minivan is pulling into the drive-thru, the camera will sense this, assume that there is more than 1 person in it and suggest that more food be put on the grill. Managers who have are using this package (from a newspaper article I saw) say that times have been cut by 25-40 seconds per car in the drivethru because they are more prepared when the cars come in based on what this software tells them they should expect. Interesting, huh?

I'm starting to guess that this job is more about travelling from place to place 6 days a week and helping to make sure things run smoothly or provide support on site. Also, the company is only 5 years old. It was started in 2001...

I just don't want to waste my time if it's not something I want to do...and that is not really what I would like to be doing (the money would have to be VERY good for me to want to do that line of support.) I already have a Tech Support job in a School, so it would have to be well paying for me to switch.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I find quite a few online job postings are vauge as to what the job is. I find this especially true when posted by a placement agency or headhunter.

That title is vauge to me.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Do you think I would be out of line to contact one of the people I spoke with already to set up the interview and ask them for some more information about the position?
    Personally I don't, and I think it's actually positive, because you're showing an interest in the position 'and' want to be well prepared for the interview. Just my personal opinion. Any particular company may respond less positive to it.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    That's kind of where I was leaning...Although Client Service could be a broad range of things. My Resume focuses on Help Desk/Network Support, so I'm hoping this one is something along those lines...I did some more searching on their site and they do not list this particular job under their career listing.

Also, I found out more of what they do...They offer a service to fast-food restaurants (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc...) that monitor traffic and pedestrian levels and, say, that a minivan is pulling into the drive-thru, the camera will sense this, assume that there is more than 1 person in it and suggest that more food be put on the grill. Managers who have are using this package (from a newspaper article I saw) say that times have been cut by 25-40 seconds per car in the drivethru because they are more prepared when the cars come in based on what this software tells them they should expect. Interesting, huh?

I'm starting to guess that this job is more about travelling from place to place 6 days a week and helping to make sure things run smoothly or provide support on site. Also, the company is only 5 years old. It was started in 2001...

I just don't want to waste my time if it's not something I want to do...and that is not really what I would like to be doing (the money would have to be VERY good for me to want to do that line of support.) I already have a Tech Support job in a School, so it would have to be well paying for me to switch.

I think go to the interview anyway. See what it is actually about. Besides, interview practise never hurts.

Personally I think working for a progessive technology company like that would be quite exciting and its an opportunity to get yourself into a niche market - but it depends what you want to do.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    If you are applying for this position, the employer assumes you know what you are applying for. Just my .02 cents.

Wow - how much can .02 cents buy? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    My opinion is find out the information at the interview. You will always learn something during an interview process. Atleast go and get the experience and ask the more detailed questions. You never know, if you aren't right for this position you may make an impression and they may contact you for another position.

:D
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your good points...it's great to see both sides and not just friends telling me what I want to hear (not that you aren't all my friends! icon_lol.gif )

I will be going to the interview, without question...I can always say no if it's something I don't think I want to do. If for nothing else, I will get the experience of it all (again). In fact, the gentleman I spoke to told me to plan on spending at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours there and possibly more. He mentioned some people in HR I would be speaking to and some other items...I found out from his confirmation email that he is the CFO of this company, a true big-wig there! This is just a first interview!!!

Also, and I don't know how many of you are familiar with Pittsburgh, but the founders of this company are all graduates of Carnegie Mellon University (MAJOR Tech people there) so, that adds to my nerves...

It's exciting to have the interview, and I will be nervous as hell to do it!!! But, who knows, it may offer more than the piddly amount I make now (I think Geek Squad guys (from another post around here) make as much or more than I do!) icon_sad.gif