Options

Really enjoyed this piece about learning.

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJy69cEOtQ

You may already be informed about this, but I am going to try this strategy on something I haven't decided yet.  It might be a musical instrument.  
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    At least it sets some ground rules for how to start learning something, and how long you should stick with the learning experience before you are allowed to give up on it. It is very beneficial to realize that you do not have the aptitude for a particular subject or skill, and therefore you should not spend too much time forcing yourself to learn it.

One example is learning to write software. Everyone should try to learn to design and write software, but not everyone will be good at it regardless of how much they practice, and some people will genuinely hate doing it. If, after 20 hours, you find that this is you, cross "learn to write software" off your list and move on to learning the next thing you find interesting. Both beneficial and a great time saver.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray said:
    At least it sets some ground rules for how to start learning something, and how long you should stick with the learning experience before you are allowed to give up on it. It is very beneficial to realize that you do not have the aptitude for a particular subject or skill, and therefore you should not spend too much time forcing yourself to learn it.

One example is learning to write software. Everyone should try to learn to design and write software, but not everyone will be good at it regardless of how much they practice, and some people will genuinely hate doing it. If, after 20 hours, you find that this is you, cross "learn to write software" off your list and move on to learning the next thing you find interesting. Both beneficial and a great time saver.

That's the part I like about it the most.  It sets 20 hours I believe and has you step through some basics.  Either you get it or you don't, like you said either you are good at it or you are not, 100% completely agree. 
  • Options
    DaskeryDaskery Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6 Hs of study a day.