Fresh to the Forum!

mhvsvnmhvsvn Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, hope y'all are well. 

I'm a 20 year old from NYC, with the A+ & Net+ certs. Fixed my first cracked iPhone screen about 6 years ago, and built my first PC about 5 years ago. Uhh, I went to college for a few years but didn't end up with any degree. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to go back either. Right now I work at Geek Squad as an Advanced Repair Agent, basically doing hardware and software diagnostics/repairs and data backups/transfers. Only been here for a couple months and being a seasonal employee, the hours aren't great.

I'm in the market for a new job, been applying to anything and everything on Indeed, Monster, CG, you name it. If anyone has any advice or anything, I really appreciate it! Happy new year y'all 
Tagged:

Comments

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    You can try to get a government job (local government - City, County). Try looking at https://www.governmentjobs.com/  - Filter with IT and Computers and the location you live in. Although the titles may be different, try Automated Systems Technician or anything in that arena (your experience should be just fine).

Oh yes... Welcome to TE!

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @mhvsvn - welcome to TE. Besides the job sites that you mentioned, you may want to also use LinkedIn. The good news with being in NYC area is that it's a tech hotbed with lots of startups. And there are also lots of MSPs that provide tech services. It may take you a little while to find a job but if you are persistent, I'm sure you'll find something.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    Lots of InfoSec opportunities at all skill levels not in all major metro areas. For NYC, I would try the bigger financial businesses for ITSec jobs. Those jobs look better on a resume.