Help with question - general code move

sumeetgandhisumeetgandhi Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
First of all a Very Happy New Year to all the great folks out there!

Have a question which needs some clarification:

In regard to moving an application program from the test environment to the production environment, the BEST control would be to have the:

A. application programmer copy the source program and compiled object module to the production libraries. 
B. application programmer copy the source program to the production libraries and then have the production control group compile the program. 
C. production control group compile the object module to the production libraries using the source program in the test environment. 
D. production control group copy the source program to the production libraries and then compile the program.

I think the answer should be C as in any normal code move from one env to other we take the program / binaries from lower environment and put it to higher one. So, I will let the team who handles prod env to compile the object module to prod library using the uat env source, which will ensure that we have a proper sync bet the binary of the env. But correct answer is marked as D, which I dont think is correct as it talks about copy the file to the prod first and then compile it. Ideally the prod should be free of any such compilers. Any thoughts?
---
With Regards
Sumeet Gandhi
CISA, CISM, PMP, PMI-ACP, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Office 365, SharePoint Online, SharePoint (2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007), MCTS, CSM, ITIL, PRINCE2
Tagged:

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The question was probably written by someone that has never been a software engineer. The terms used aren't really used in the real world (at least it's not common in the US) such as "source program". And the way that "production libraries" is used is confusing.

Maybe it's not "C" because the phrase "... compile the object module to the production libraries using the source program..." doesn't really make sense.

I hope that these are not samples from ISACA because it's really bad. Few commercial companies deploy code in the manner that's described.
  • sumeetgandhisumeetgandhi Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paul78 said:
    The question was probably written by someone that has never been a software engineer. The terms used aren't really used in the real world (at least it's not common in the US) such as "source program". And the way that "production libraries" is used is confusing.

Maybe it's not "C" because the phrase "... compile the object module to the production libraries using the source program..." doesn't really make sense.

I hope that these are not samples from ISACA because it's really bad. Few commercial companies deploy code in the manner that's described.
    Thanks Paul, even I was wondering about the same. So, thought to check with you all about your views on this. Thanks again!
    ---
    With Regards
    Sumeet Gandhi
    CISA, CISM, PMP, PMI-ACP, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Office 365, SharePoint Online, SharePoint (2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007), MCTS, CSM, ITIL, PRINCE2
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BTW - I am curious about the reasoning behind why D is the correct answer.

The way that ISACA uses "production library" is odd. I never hear it used in the real world. And software development processes based on agile or similar iterative process don't work in the way that ISACA typically espouses.