Options

Switching degrees but not by choice

SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I spoke with my WGU mentor a few hours ago and she mentioned that on April they'll be discontinuing the two Linux courses that get you the Linux+ powered by LPI certification. She mentioned that I was more than welcomed to take a stab at it but that there was a strong possibility that I may not make it in time during my current term. I've dabbled with Linux over the years but never did anything too serious with it so I can't say I have loads of experience. Currently I'm enrolled under the old bachelors degree for IT with a Security emphasis and she suggested I switch to the updated degree so that I may take the Linux Foundations cert course. Kinda bummed out about not being able to study for the Linux+ cert since I know it comes with the LPIC-1 version of the certification as well. 

I know that CompTIA is working on an updated Linux+ built by themselves which will be a CE cert and will require only one exam. Not sure how much weight the LPI version carries in the professional world but should I bite the bullet and try to fit in some study time and get the current Linux+ that also get me the current version 4.0 LPIC-1 cert, the standalone version 5.0 LPIC-1 cert, or the standalone version XK0-004 CompTIA Linux+?

Switching degrees will also land me a few new certs to obtain. The LPI Linux Essentials (which in hindsight sounds like it would do a Linux n00b like me well), CompTIA Could Essentials, and the Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA). 
Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise

Comments

• Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LPI> CompTIA. Try to get it done if you can.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE