Options

CISSP: English CAT exam VS Spanish 'traditional' exam

goodrookiegoodrookie Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I've been reading about the CAT exam evaluation method and something that I hate about it is that it doesn't allow to review previously answered questions. I don't feel comfortable with this new 'supposedly more intelligent' way of testing. And as I can take it in english or in spanish (with the previous method), I wanted to have your opinions about this dilemma of mine.
What would you do? Do you really trust this new CAT method? I think that if I fail my exam with the traditional method, I would be fair and that it wasn't because a strange algorithm forecasted that I would be failing and thus it ends up failing me. Call me 'old school'...
Thanks so much!
Carlos.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As other have mentioned on the boards here before that the new method is nothing new and has existed way before this exam did. Other vendors had implemented this too and not just ISC2. Whether taking it for 6 hours for 250 Qs V.S. 3 hours with adaptive testing of 100-150 questions isn't going to make a difference - both are a mental game and knowing the material. An algorithm isn't going to pass or fail you, its about understanding the material and thinking like a security manager. Cheers and Good Luck. 
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have wanted to take the traditional linear exam, but was not ready when the CAT format was released (of the available languages that the test is offered, English is the only one I can take the test on). 

Should you decide to sit for the 6-hour exam, just be prepared to be exhausted mentally. 

Oh and one last thing, I read somewhere that one of the reasons for the adoption of the CAT format is to mirror real-life scenarios / situations wherein you can't go back to your stakeholders and retract whatever previous opinions or recommendations that you have provided.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies. ISC2 Members LATAM has just confirmed me that in every exam not in english, it shows the text in the selected language BUT ALSO the text appears in english! They didn't gave me details, but that would be the ideal scenario for me. What they didn't specify is if the question is translated, or the questions and the options. 

Anyone of you took the CISSP exam in other language than english to confirm how is this?

I'm not finding any official confirmation of this and no ISC2 documentation that support this assertion either.

Thanks so much! 
    Regards,
    Carlos.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Spanish is my native language but I just can't imagine taking a test in Spanish simply because all my IT study materials have always been in English. I am curious, is your study material in English ot Spanish?
  • Options
    Spanish is my native language but I just can't imagine taking a test in Spanish simply because all my IT study materials have always been in English. I am curious, is your study material in English ot Spanish?
    I have the same opinion, but my priority is stay with the old exam format. I just don't want the adaptive test and I can't accept that it forbids to go back to previous questions.
    But as members LATAM told me, apparently in non-english exams apart from the questiones in the selected language the english version is also shown so one end up having both languages! That's what I'm trying to confirm with this forum.
    Thanks!
    Regards,
    Carlos.
  • Options
    laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although I took the old style exam, I think I would probably take the new style if I had a choice. But really you have to remember that they are in different languages and although I'm not remotely bilingual myself, I would imagine that it's still different to take it in different languages. The subtle inflections of how the question is asked could be crucial. So if I were you I would just do it in whichever language you're most comfortable in and in the language that you've been studying in.
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog