need advice

lo9manlo9man Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
here is the situation: I worked 6 years in computer domains, i begin in computer repair and end with manager of my own company that sell, mount and repair compter, I have experience in. netwoking, linux, freebsd, .....
the problem is after i move here to USA I dont find job no one want to hire me, because am "without referance" and "americain experience", I passed A+ last week, am ready anytime to pass N+ RHCA Linux+ because i know that with experience and i try the virtual tests and always pass.
I need advice, do i have to get this certifications or my chance to get a job with my experience and new A+ is good ??
to find job here do i have to accumulate 6 or 7 certifs so my resume will be take seriously ?? icon_rolleyes.gif
i really dont know waht to do
i begin to hate my self after 6 months without job[/i]

Comments

• int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The president won't let anyone hire you.
  • lo9manlo9man Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    int80h wrote:
    i have work permit :)
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's hard to prove to an employer that you have a lot of experience when you have been 'working' for yourself. Not that it doesn't mean that you do not have the skills, it just is harder to prove.

Sometimes it's just the wording or the presentation of your resume & cover letter. It may be a good idea to get it critiqued by a professional and then redo it.
    int80h wrote:

Why do people have to bring their political viewpoints to a tech forum? icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey, how's that Universal Health Care working out for ya?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lo9man:

Welcome to the USA. I'm sorry you have been having a hard time finding a job. It might help if you told us a little more:

1. What country are you from? If it is a Middle East country, you will have your work cut out for you. That's just a fact, and no offence intended to peace loving Muslims of any nationality.

2. How good is your English, honestly? Even foreigners with good English can have an accent that is hard to understand on the phone, and many tech jobs require a lot of phone contact with customers. If you get a call regarding your resume, they may hear your accent and decide it's not worth interviewing you.

3. Do you have any higher education from a university? With no degree, no certs, and no way to verify past experience, would you hire someone if the role was reversed?

Also keep in mind, many US citizens are having a hard time getting a job as well. Just a quick check through some of the forums here can reveal that.

Good luck to you!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • lo9manlo9man Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

1. What country are you from? If it is a Middle East country, you will have your work cut out for you. That's just a fact, and no offence intended to peace loving Muslims of any nationality.

Ok am from middle east so am arabic muslim
    2. How good is your English, honestly? Even foreigners with good English can have an accent that is hard to understand on the phone, and many tech jobs require a lot of phone contact with customers. If you get a call regarding your resume, they may hear your accent and decide it's not worth interviewing you.

Ok I have the "accent" but me I dont work in sales or in fone I want to work as a computer technician or network technician so the important is what i can do not how do I speack
    3. Do you have any higher education from a university? With no degree, no certs, and no way to verify past experience, would you hire someone if the role was reversed?

I was student in in business and management and I have now A+ and if its necessary am ready to pass linux or network certification next week bacause my primary OS since 2000 is linux and for networking i have 5y experience in.

So what now did i try to continue and hope to find a job in IT or try to change the domain.???
    Is it necessary to make other certif so my resume be more "serious" ??
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    lo9man:

I'm not sure if you meant that way but there are many non muslim people living in Middle East. Thats like saying all Americans are Christians.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not meaning to sound rude but I think you should work more to improve your english skills, both written and verbal.

Judging by your written skills here, if your resume reads anything the same then you may be looked over.

Get some basic certs, improve your English skills, maybe get professional help with your resume to start off with and if you list your country of origin, drop it.

Unfortunately there is a lot of paranoia, especially in US, about middle eastern people (not getting into a political debate). I work with quite a few people from middle eastern background who have a lot of trouble getting visas to travel for work even though the company sponsors them.