Options

Tough job choices

rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I just wanted to get your input on the 2 job offers that I have received. I cannot decide on which route to go. My goal is to become a Network engineer. I only have 2 years of Desktop Support experience with little to no networking. Which one would you choose, if you were me?

Job 1: Data Center Technician 
Pay: 28 an hour
5 mins from house
- Rack and Stack work 
- Replacing hardware parts
- Travel to different parts of US to install Data Centers(No network config)

Job 2: NOC technician 
Pay 18 an hour
15 mins from house
Job description from listing
- "We provide 24-hour network integration, monitoring and management, while also specializing in IP telephony. Helpdesk position is essential for tier 1 support, for service desk/ ticket integration and incident management."
WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Job 1 pays a lot more, allowing more opportunities to pay for certs but job 2 gives you experience. In my experience with our data center, rack-n-stack guys aren't given an opportunity to branch out ... there's no one on site to learn from.

Strictly based on your goal, job 2. 
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    2. What does your gut say? That should be your guide...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I would make absolutely sure that job 2 will include job duties that relate to what you're looking for. Depending on the level of that NOC tech job, you may just be literally cutting tickets all day and not doing any troubleshooting. But at least there is a path as you could move up the ranks after pursuing certs and knowledge. I wouldn't necessarily say that with Job 1 there is no room for growth, but I would also look into that as well. With that company is there a history of promoting up? Is there a path from that position to a NOC tech or even Jr Network Admin? If so, the $10/hr ($20k yearly) extra income would give you a ton more money to spend on knowledge and certs to be able to move up.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Job 1, for 1-2 years maximum then either get transfered/promoted to a more interesting position or go elsewhere. Job 1 can get you exposed to many different technology, the travel aspect is a nice experience by itself too (in my case). I also assume than Job 1 is from a bigger company, so it could have a better career development there.

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That pay from the second job has me curious with how much experience you will actually obtain from it. 

I would say to go with 1. It gives you exposure to the physical side of things. More money to invest in yourself. I would definitely ask job number 1 if there is a way to establish a time line in which you can map out to obtain the job you are aiming toward (actually configuring things as opposed to just plugging it all in)