Questions Acceptable for the Employer

AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been my job now for over two years and there are things that are forcing me to look elsewhere (despite loving my job). That being said, I've only ever interviewed for three jobs ever and my question is:

Is it cool to grill the prospective employer on Disaster/High Availability, being on call?

I don't want to walk into a disaster.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited January 2019
    Yes, it's good to interview the interviewer. It makes you sound confident and competent. However, don't make it sound as if there are things that you won't do, or you won't get the job. Remember that a manager is hiring you to fix/solve all of his/her problems. If you sound hesitant and lacking in enthusiasm, or talk as if there are limits on your motivation, willingness, and capabilities to solve problems, only the most desperate (or clueless) of managers will hire you.

And I say this as a hiring manager myself.
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I fully agree with @JDMurray! Yes, it's not just acceptable to ask questions, it's recommended!

You are trying to get a feeling for the lay of the land, to understand the environment you would have to work in. Don't be critical, make faces when they say things you don't like. Just take it all in and keep digging, keep asking. Not only does it show interest in your prospective employer, hopefully it shows you can ask intelligent questions to understand situations. 

I always like asking them whether there are particular problems or challenges they've been dealing with, what kind of projects they've ran recently and most importantly, how I could help them achieve their goals in the near future. 
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I give mental bonus points to candidates that ask well-thought out questions, it shows you're engaged and interested in the position. Always walk in with a few questions you want to ask and while it's better if you have them memorized, I don't hold it against anyone if they have them written down. It shows detail orientation. And try to ask a question or two about something the interviewer said. Even if you don't care about the answer, it shows you were paying attention.

The best question I was asked was when I greeted a candidate and while shaking hands, he looked me in the eye and asked "so, what problem can I help you solve?" While he really started off on the right foot, it wasn't long before an arrogant attitude ended the interview.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    It's refreshing to hear that. In my experience, asking questions has been quite surprising. 

One of my favorite questions to ask is about how the position is evaluated meaning what are the success criteria whether it is in 3 months or 1 year. And I'm baffled by how many companies are very vague with the answer. 

Once, I pressed a bit harder for a position that I really wanted and they ended up saying '' It's about your determination, relationship with others and passion''. Sorry, but that's all perception. I believe at least one quantifiable metric should be used to evaluate employees, that way it's not disputable. 

Although I strongly believe relationships / appearances are crucial, you can't use those as the only metrics. I'm sure we all know some mediocre performers who moved on / got promoted due to great relationships. 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Azt7 said:
    One of my favorite questions to ask is about how the position is evaluated meaning what are the success criteria whether it is in 3 months or 1 year. And I'm baffled by how many companies are very vague with the answer. 
    Yes! That's an excellent question! If I'm going to be the expensive, temporary hire called in to do a specific job, we'll need to determine upfront how we can determine the job's done :smile:

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great stuff as usual! Thanks so much to take time and comment. :smile: