Options

Should I get a degree?

AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all, weird question.  So many years ago I worked in IT (then called MIS) as I went towards a history degree to become a teacher.  Well, that never finished.  So now over 20 years later, ok nearly 30 years... I am now a director at a consulting services.  I have a crap ton of certs (CISM, CIPT, PSM, MOF, MCSEx3, MCITPx4,MCTSx16... and so on).  Now I am wondering is my lack of a degree actually hurting me today.  I know it wouldn't if I was hiring.  But... with no financial incentive... is it worth it to get a degree in your opinion today?  

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ashenwelt
-Always working on something...
-The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's worth looking into. I'm a fan of advanced-planning so planning for future advancement as well as planning for job termination. In both cases, you would benefit from having a degree. Online doesn't have the stigma it used to and there are even a number of schools that are moving forward with some degree of competency-based education. This has been out there a while but it was in the form of "testing out of" a course. Now, these programs support it on more than a course by course basis and some have entire programs where you can move as fast as you want or as slow as you need (within reason).

Is it worth it? I think so and went back and finished my bachelors a few years ago despite there not being a specific reason to do so other than future planning.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, I would look at the types of jobs that either you would look at having in the future as far as upward mobility, or as an emergency if you suddenly lost the job you have.  Would I get a degree just to get one?  Probably not.  Would I get a degree to further my knowledge if money wasn't a big issue?  Absolutely.

With your experience and certifications, I would argue that a degree would be unnecessary in your case.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I'm on the "If the type of job you want requires a degree then get a  degree" bandwagon. Even if the jobs openings you want say a degree is "nice to have," you may need one to raise yourself above the other candidates competing for the same job.

Also, realize that a degree isn't necessarily something that you can acquire in just a few months like the marketing materials from some online universities would have you believe.

So what kind of job(s) are you looking for?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course get a degree.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have had two job opportunities in which having a degree helped.  I would also recommend it.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ashenwelt said:
    Hey all, weird question.  So many years ago I worked in IT (then called MIS) as I went towards a history degree to become a teacher.  Well, that never finished.  So now over 20 years later, ok nearly 30 years... I am now a director at a consulting services.  I have a crap ton of certs (CISM, CIPT, PSM, MOF, MCSEx3, MCITPx4,MCTSx16... and so on).  Now I am wondering is my lack of a degree actually hurting me today.  I know it wouldn't if I was hiring.  But... with no financial incentive... is it worth it to get a degree in your opinion today?  

Absolutely not

I see only one reason to get a degree today, and that is financial incentive ... but sometimes financial incentive = job security. I would take that into consideration also.

Have you been having trouble getting hired? Are you being turned down for promotions where you currently work? Would the degree have a chance to pay for itself before you retire?

These are all questions I would ask myself to come to this decision.

• Options
    JDMurray said:
    I'm on the "If the type of job you want requires a degree then get a  degree" bandwagon. Even if the jobs openings you want say a degree is "nice to have," you may need one to raise yourself above the other candidates competing for the same job.

Also, realize that a degree isn't necessarily something that you can acquire in just a few months like the marketing materials from some online universities would have you believe.

So what kind of job(s) are you looking for?
    Definitely understand this could easily take a year or more.  Director of Privacy or CISO preferred is the direction I would like to take for my next step.
    Ashenwelt
  • Options
    Ashenwelt said:

Absolutely not

I see only one reason to get a degree today, and that is financial incentive ... but sometimes financial incentive = job security. I would take that into consideration also.

Have you been having trouble getting hired? Are you being turned down for promotions where you currently work? Would the degree have a chance to pay for itself before you retire?

Paying for itself before retiring?  Hmm.  Having problems is normal at this level... but financially... I don't know if it would directly impact.  No more promotions at my work are possible.  Only real question for me is: would it improve my chances at getting an interview?
    Ashenwelt
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If getting a degree is strictly for a HR checklist, then sure, get one. The fastest way to get any type of bachelor's degree will be a liberal arts degree. Check out https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-and-Testing-Discussion for degree plans. I'm sure you'll be able to get 90 undergraduate credits hours or more due to your professional experience.

• Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It boils down to ROI u get from investing into a degree. Whats the ROI for getting a degree in your situation? In my situation, getting GSE is good enough for my career. However, applicant tracking systems that look specifically for the degree word would filter you off. There are more advanced ATCs that wouldnt drop you as it allows the interviewer to search resumes by keywords. Certs listing in the resume is one of the way the resume can be lit up.
  • Options
    LionelTeo said:
    It boils down to ROI u get from investing into a degree. Whats the ROI for getting a degree in your situation? In my situation, getting GSE is good enough for my career. However, applicant tracking systems that look specifically for the degree word would filter you off. There are more advanced ATCs that wouldnt drop you as it allows the interviewer to search resumes by keywords. Certs listing in the resume is one of the way the resume can be lit up.

That is my top concern.

jdancer said:
    If getting a degree is strictly for a HR checklist, then sure, get one. The fastest way to get any type of bachelor's degree will be a liberal arts degree. Check out https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-and-Testing-Discussion for degree plans. I'm sure you'll be able to get 90 undergraduate credits hours or more due to your professional experience.

Opened an account there and started a discussion.  A lot of good information.
    Ashenwelt said:

Absolutely not

Oddly enough, probably not.  However I am looking at one more for an insurance policy because of automated searches.

Thanks all!
    Ashenwelt
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holding a degree is a tick-box exercise for recruiters. It is another nice to have but not necessarily a deal breaker.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tell everyone to strive for all three a degree/experience/certifications. to someone with 20+ years of experience it might just be a check box but i know i was personally rejected a promotion because the manager demanded a degree for the next level up even though i was already doing the work.  Also if your planning to do a affordable degree like WGU.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ashenwelt said:

Absolutely not

Paying for itself before retiring?  Hmm.  Having problems is normal at this level... but financially... I don't know if it would directly impact.  No more promotions at my work are possible.  Only real question for me is: would it improve my chances at getting an interview?

Ashenwelt said:
    Ashenwelt said:

Absolutely not

Oddly enough, probably not.  However I am looking at one more for an insurance policy because of automated searches.

Thanks all!

The only way I would recommend going for a degree in your situation is:
    1. If you have plenty of time to spare or somehow found a degree that didn't take long to complete.
    2. If you could find a degree that was cost-effective enough so that you could not only cover the tuition in full but also have the degree add a surplus to your retirement/savings.

If these items aren't met then I see it taking more from your life than it provides.

Keep in mind that I'm assuming you are an average person with an average level of retirement savings. If you have at least a million in retirement savings and money isn't too much of a concern for you then you really only need to consider #1.

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    Do a degree if its required but don't do it just for the sake of it.

Here in the UK we have a problem with many people with degrees but still with no jobs or dead end minimum wage jobs.  Because they picked a degree just for the sake of it and they haven't or cant apply it to the real world.

If you decide to have a career path change such becoming at Doctor or Lawyer then yes.  Absolutely do a degree.

Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely do a degree of some sort. Not saying go get a Masters or something but at least an Associates Degree. If you get an Associates Degree then leverage the company for the Bachelors degree. That is what I used to tell students. It works and saves you money. I had AAS students get placed in entry level tech jobs and then used the tuition assistance programs at the new company to get their Bachelors and so on. 
  • Options
    morleyeugenamorleyeugena Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should go for a degree 
  • Options
    Definitely do a degree of some sort. Not saying go get a Masters or something but at least an Associates Degree. If you get an Associates Degree then leverage the company for the Bachelors degree. That is what I used to tell students. It works and saves you money. I had AAS students get placed in entry level tech jobs and then used the tuition assistance programs at the new company to get their Bachelors and so on. 
    Have an AS and AA.
    Ashenwelt
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited February 2019
    You should go for a degree 
    For someone that appears to be non-tech who writes a blog about writing and grammar, you sure have some terse postings with bad grammar. I can only assume you are an out-sourced spammer. Feel free to refute my skepticism.

Ashenwelt said:
    ... is it worth it to get a degree in your opinion today? 
    @Ashenwelt - I don't usually respond to postings about whether someone should get a degree because I feel that I'm a bad example. I myself do not have a degree of any kind. But since you are appear to be my age group, I wanted to share my 2 cents. 

Personally, I think that if someone is starting out today, or already in school, or perhaps in a rut and aspires to have some upward mobility options - it can make a lot of sense to get a BS tech related degree. 

But since you already have 30 years of experience and you are already at a Director level, I would imagine that you probably get your job opportunities the same way that I do which is that we know people. Or people reach out to us through our own networks. For me, because I don't actually have a degree, it's always been a bit more of a motivation to go the extra mile at a job. And I also don't take any job or opportunity for granted.

At my age and experience, and with my current roles, there's really no financial incentive to get a degree. And that's probably true for you too. That said, I personally do want to get my degree some day, probably when I retire or when work slows down. It's mostly just for my own satisfaction. So if you want to get a degree, just for the sake of learning and your own satisfaction - go for it. Since you already have an AS and AA plus 30 years of experience, I doubt having a degree will really matter much to your career.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If you had no degree at all, I'd say sure why not as long as it won't put you in debt. If you already have a degree and it's just an unrelated major, then I wouldn't bother. Especially if you already have certifications and experience. 

At most, just go for an IT masters degree at best. 
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com