Options

Starting Security+ after Microsoft Certs

malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
After passing my MCSE in Cloud Platform and Infrastructure last September, I am hitting the books again as I want to go down the network security route.  So far I have the CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-501 Study Guide and the Professor Messer CompTIA Security+ SY0-501 Training video and the course notes.  Will this be enough to get me through the exam?  Also how do CompTIA exams in difficulty compared the Microsoft exams?  As I have never taken an CompTIA exam before but I have passed 6 Microsoft exams.

Certifications:
MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will most likely pass it first time based on your cert background. I passed my Sec+ after 4 weeks just using Professor Messer (invaluable resource) and practice tests without any other MS certs behind me, apart from a few MTAs. You just need to use the Sec+ exam objectives and make sure you know everything on that list.

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-security-sy0-501-exam-objectives.pdf

CompTIA's exam style is very different to MS. It's more of a 'fact-based' question rather than giving you paragraphs of scenarios. I would say the difficulty is much lower, however don't let that drop your guard. There are a few practical questions thrown in, usually at the start. I personally leave these until the end.

Overall you could do this within 4-6 weeks, depending on your study time and what you can put towards it. Easy exam IMO.
    Thanks, I'm going through both book and videos and ticking them off on the exam objectives.  The same method I used when I was studying for my MS certs. 

I haven't come across it so far but did you do any labbing for this?  And good luck for your next exam.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.