Options

Laid off....new direction?

hellogalaxyhellogalaxy Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I just got the news I was layed off :(

I think of it as a blessing as I was burnt out as a sys admin.  I have about nine months of savings to hold me over while I try and redefine my career.

I have a pretty diverse background with exp as a win environment net/sys admin (8 years) and help desk (3 years).  

I currently hold CCNA/N+/S+/CISSP.

My passion is in AWS.  I have zero experience in an actual AWS network, but have studied plenty for the architect cert.  In two months I think I can knock out AWS architect associate/professional and I was wondering what all of you thought about future jobs.

So in a nutshell I'm an 8 year sys admin with lots of Linux exp wanting to break into remote cloud work.

What do you think my best path forward is to land a remote job in cloud?  What certs, work, studying do you think could land me the first job?

Comments

• Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't personally work in Cloud, so I cannot advise you on a path forward. I would just recommend to keep studying, keep pushing yourself forward, the more knowledge the better. What area do you live in and what is your willingness to relocate? The company I work for regularly has Cloud positions in Cary, NC and other locations. 
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    with this economy, you should be able to find something really quick.  I keep seeing articles about how they can't find people to hire in the tech field. 
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    So sorry..been there before.  What area do you live in?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know what your situation is, but are you willing to relocate? We're having trouble finding certified and qualified Sys Admins here in upstate NY.