Options

Another Resume - Would love to move out West - Texas

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□

If anyone wants to critique my resume I updated.

Would love to get into security and move out west (Texas/Arizona/New Mexico) in the next 6+ months

Due to space I had to remove my earliest job which was a stint at Redbox being a field tech and had to remove when I attended WGU for two years as I am no longer attending that school.

Don't worry those aren't my actual employers but they are similar.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you looking for advice on how to get a job in another region? Or are you looking for advice on your resume? Or looking for advice on your resume specifically to be attractive in another region? As a hiring manager, here are my thoughts:
    • Too many bullets, show me you can write proper sentences.
    • Job duration. If you got a new job tomorrow that would be four jobs in 2.5 years
    • Kudos on keeping it to a single page
    You want to get into security and you want to change regions, are you prepared to pay for these yourself or are you depending on the new employer to pay for them? And which part of security?

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. Fix the grammatical and spelling errors.
    2. Add a skills section.
    3. Reverse your education and certification section so that your most recent is on top.

Those are what I see as the most urgent/crucial.

But... I also suggest dropping the first two jobs (Correctional and Probation Officer positions) leaving just the 2 IT-based positions and the 1 Contract Correctional Officer positions on. Doing this will focus your resume more and also add room for the skills section.

• Options
    EANx said:

• Job duration. If you got a new job tomorrow that would be four jobs in 2.5 years
    Isn't it the mentality that people in the IT field, hop around - to move up, especially when they are in the bottom rung. I have been in all my jobs at least year. 
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's employee mentality, not as much from management and typically only at the low-levels. When I see a job hopper, I'm less likely to invest in them because I'm not likely to see a return. And while you can say " make them pay it back", that doesn't account for opportunity cost. My firm paid for a class, a wage and had time lost, it's getting the cost of the class back and maybe the cost of the salary but the time, my project just eats that time. Which goes back to my question, are you trying to get a new company to pay for your training? If so, you'll have better luck by making them think you're likely to stick around.
  • Options
    EANx said:
    . Which goes back to my question, are you trying to get a new company to pay for your training? If so, you'll have better luck by making them think you're likely to stick around.

Nope the thought never crossed my mind - didn't see it as a possibility. 
  • Options
    Should I remove my criminal justice jobs - just had a 'professional' check it out and they said. 

Generally, your resume needs to reflect what’s relevant to the position in which you are applying. At that point, HR isn’t concerned with how long you were a CO if it doesn’t pertain to the IT position you want.

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Should I remove my criminal justice jobs - just had a 'professional' check it out and they said. 

Generally, your resume needs to reflect what’s relevant to the position in which you are applying. At that point, HR isn’t concerned with how long you were a CO if it doesn’t pertain to the IT position you want.

A professional what? >:)

I think it really depends on who you will be sending your resume to and the person that reads it.

If your resume crossed my desk, I would appreciate seeing that you have been in the workforce for more than 2 years.  Your resume shows that your first job was in 2011 and you completed your BS in 2014. So that also tells me that you worked while you pursued a college degree - I usually give extra points to candidates for that. Lastly,  I do infosec work, so someone with actual criminal justice jobs is tangentially relevant.

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Spacing on the bullets is all over the map.
    Be consistent with the end punctuation on the bullets. Either use it on all or none.
    Bullets for the first job use the present tense while bullets in subsequent jobs will be past tense.
    Avoid using the present particle tense ("ing" verbs) at the beginning of any bullet because it changes the bullet from an action to merely a comment.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude message me private. I am in Dallas TX I have a ton of recruiting contacts for InfoSec in the area. Maybe I can throw you a lead or two. Always looking to help someone out w that next opportunity or to get into the field.
  • Options
    paul78 said:

A professional what? >:)

I think it really depends on who you will be sending your resume to and the person that reads it.

If your resume crossed my desk, I would appreciate seeing that you have been in the workforce for more than 2 years.  Your resume shows that your first job was in 2011 and you completed your BS in 2014. So that also tells me that you worked while you pursued a college degree - I usually give extra points to candidates for that. Lastly,  I do infosec work, so someone with actual criminal justice jobs is tangentially relevant.

Thanks - those are real good deductive skills about being employed and attending school, that hasn't been recently mentioned while I was redoing my resume and letting multiple people see it.
    Also - you're not the first person to state that 'actual criminal justice' goes hand to hand with infosec. Just a quick question for my own knowledge - how does physical security go hand in hand with infosec? 
    Just looking how I can spin it for my own future reference.

jeremywatts2005 said:
    Dude message me private. I am in Dallas TX I have a ton of recruiting contacts for InfoSec in the area. Maybe I can throw you a lead or two. Always looking to help someone out w that next opportunity or to get into the field.

Thanks I will definitely use the resources you handed off to me. 
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bullet points should highlight your key accomplishments only. Use hard matrix and describe your duties in detail. 

"Provide hardware, software and network installation" doesn't tell me anything.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited March 2019

No! Physical security and social engineering are a significant part of pen testing. Sounds as if you've got a good background for that sort of thing.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■

... Also - you're not the first person to state that 'actual criminal justice' goes hand to hand with infosec. Just a quick question for my own knowledge - how does physical security go hand in hand with infosec? ...
    I usually think of it in this way:
    1. A person with criminal justice background may have first-hand experience in dealing with the psychology and motivations of a criminal. That experience can be useful when understanding the motivations of cyber criminals.
    2. If you studied criminal justice, you may have a working knowledge of criminal law which sometimes apply to computer fraud and abuse laws.
    3. Handling evidence during a forensics investigation is the same concepts regardless of infosec or real-life.
    4. Having actual experience with physical security concepts apply with physical protection of IT infrastructure.
    5. In some organizations, especially tech orgs, the person responsible for infosec may also be the same person responsible for life-safety. 
    I hope you job search is going well.