Dell PowerEdge R710 for VMware 6.7

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,645Member ■■■■■■□□□□
I currently have one Dell PowerEdge R710 which has Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 installed on it for my MCSA lab. I am considering buying a second one to install VMware 6.7 on because I want to start setting up a VMWare lab.

Before I get ahead of myself with buying older equipment I wanted to check in and see if anyone has this installed in there home lab and also if there is a newer machine in a similar price point I could look at.

Right now the plans are simple. Buy another server and sign up for the VMUG advantage so I can set up the enterprise software in my home lab. I don't plan on starting a certification yet I just want to get my hands dirty with some new toys.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jon

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,750Mod Mod
    edited February 24
    I would just go with the most power/storage for the least amount of money, with a proc that is on VMware’s list. If the 710 is the best ratio of power/cost stick with that. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,645Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm pretty sure it's not on VMware supported list but Dell has produced an image for it. At least that's what I gather from watching a couple installs on youtube.

But home labs get to evolve and I imagine some people have probably moved on from the 710s. Just figured since I respect this communities experience I would throw it out there and see what others are having success with.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,645Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    I decided on a Dell R620 SFF. I plan to try and install esxi 6.7 in anticipation of taking the Stanley CC vmware course sometime this summer.