Best material for test??

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I've seen a couple of posts on here from people who said they felt prepared using their materials and then took the test and failed...so, what seems to be the best resources that gear you most towards passing the test?

There's a red book i saw on amazon by syngress publishing or something like that that got 4 stars by the users but haven't seen it mentioned on here. Also, there were a whole lot more reviews for this book over the sybex book, assuming that a lot more people have bought it over the sybex.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    syngress publishing or something like that that got 4 stars by the users but haven't seen it mentioned on here.
    I found 87 matches for Syngress in the Security+ forum:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/search.php

It's also listed on our Security+ page:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/co_securityplus.shtml

I haven't read the Syngress book myself, but heard a lot of good things about it. I read the Sybex book, which from me you won't hear a lot of good things about.
  • sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
    Which book would you recommend? is the exam cram book better than syngress? I've seen that one mentioned alot.

What about other resources such as practice tests and stuff.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Between the Syngress and Sybex, I recommend the Syngress. The exam crams are usually pretty good, but more as an extra. The syngress covers more important details.
    What about other resources such as practice tests and stuff.
    Well, I recommend my own Security+ TechNotes listed on the pages in linked to in my previous reply. And as for commercial practice questions, I think any of the better ones (transcender, preplogic, examforce, boson) will do. People seem to have various opinions and experience with them. I used the preplogic practice tests, and found them to be pretty good, with some interesting links to online references in the explanations. Besides our own free practice questions, also try the ones at our friends at www.mcmcse.com.
  • sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
    So, i'm thinking of doing the syngress book, the exam cram book with the questions, not the regular book, and then the online resources on this site and probably one of the practice tests you mentioned...should that pretty much cover it?

I notice you didn't mention exam cram, if I get that do you still recommend one of the other programs, or if I get one of them do I not need the exam cram?

I used transcender for my mcse nt years ago and it was great, and then I bought it for my ccna recently and was disappointed, so not sure which way to go with them for the money they charge.

Thanx