Options

Entering a MSP Community at Level 2

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've worked in IT for several years with a couple of management positions for small business help desks. I actually like the Helpdesk field or at least the project and consultation side where I get to connect and engage with the clients that I serve. I'm looking to move to a new State where I'll be able to pursue a Masters degree and help build up my academic and professional skills to a more formalized and robust enterprise level. In this journey I've found that my next job ideally would be a MSP (Managed Service Provider) where I can focus strictly on IT services vs sales and get a broad exposure to things like complex server infrastructure, SCCM, inTune, VMs, etc... Any advice on searching for a mid-level/Level 2 position for a MSP to avoid pitfalls of classic run of the mill/entry level phone positions when searching for a job?

Many thanks!
Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are looking to get your hands on A LOT of different technology, MSP's are the way to go...I worked for one for 12yrs and I have to say it was probably the best IT experience I gain of my 20yrs in IT.  The only downside was the stress, but if you are young and have decent soft skills, you can handle it.  You just need to be up front with your clients, otherwise they will lose confidence in you and want another engineer or maybe switch IT consultant companies (not good, and yes it has happened to me).  We are human, ya know, we make inexperience mistakes...But we also learn from them.  The only draw back is that I didn't get to really get to sharpen my skills fully, it was just temporary...until I finished the project...then moved on to the next one.  I didn't get another cert from 2003 till 2015, only because my plate was full ALL THE TIME with work.  so, when I got home, I didn't want to study, more less have a brew, & chillax.  As far as WHERE to go, I have always heard Austin, TX...San Fran, CA...DC have plenty of IT jobs...of course if you wanted to find IT gov jobs, just do a search for Air Force bases across the country, they are always looking for geeky ones.  hehe  Anyways, good luck on your journey! CHEERS & Hi5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    shochan said:
    If you are looking to get your hands on A LOT of different technology, MSP's are the way to go...I worked for one for 12yrs and I have to say it was probably the best IT experience I gain of my 20yrs in IT.  The only downside was the stress, but if you are young and have decent soft skills, you can handle it.  You just need to be up front with your clients, otherwise they will lose confidence in you and want another engineer or maybe switch IT consultant companies (not good, and yes it has happened to me).  We are human, ya know, we make inexperience mistakes...But we also learn from them.  The only draw back is that I didn't get to really get to sharpen my skills fully, it was just temporary...until I finished the project...then moved on to the next one.  I didn't get another cert from 2003 till 2015, only because my plate was full ALL THE TIME with work.  so, when I got home, I didn't want to study, more less have a brew, & chillax.  As far as WHERE to go, I have always heard Austin, TX...San Fran, CA...DC have plenty of IT jobs...of course if you wanted to find IT gov jobs, just do a search for Air Force bases across the country, they are always looking for geeky ones.  hehe  Anyways, good luck on your journey! CHEERS & Hi5!
    If I can deal with the stress in my current position then I think I can deal with an MSP ;)

I don't mind my plate being full because I'd rather have that than being bored. But, my frustration at my current position is that I'm dealing with the stress of  things that aren't IT (ie. Sales or Human Resources) or shouldn't be my responsibility. Although I am hoping a company can concurrently help me complete desired IT certifications. How do you avoid "front" companies that are really just recruiting firms?

Right now I'm set on Colorado because that's where some desired educational opportunities lie. Not against government, but don't a lot of Air Force/military positions require being in the military and having a certain "E" rank?
    Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016
    Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also dig CO and agree that most govt jobs rather have vets - I totally understand that though, they should have priority over us, they sacrificed a lot for us and I don't think some people realize that.  I guess I am ready to jump back into small biz again to see if my skills can actually grow another company like it did my old MSP, because I feel it actually did some good.  I had $hiton of clients that really ONLY wanted me working on their network, not that I was Mr expertise or know it all, but I built it and kept it running and made them $, sure there was downtime, for several things like file corruption, viruses, etc...but my soft skills and communication kept them in the loop and I believe it gave them confidence in my ability to follow it through.  Which I did...I never gave up, I finished till it was back up and running...unlike A LOT of the competition around here.  Anyways, good luck on your new adventures!  CHEERS & Hi5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP