Options

Windows Server 2016 course

llindsey3rdllindsey3rd Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been working as a WSA for about 8 months and I want to take the Server 2016 course and exams. I was thinking of taking it from online instead of Boot camp classroom because their is nothing near me and I would have to stay in a hotel for 9 days including buying food (which I can't afford after paying for the course as well. Since I am still fairly new I have worked with the lead WSA in STIG and some configuring of a server and NAS. I was wondering would it be counter productive to take the course online since I'm not that experience, I saw a note that states the preferred level of experience was 2 years of server 2012 r2 but what about the new System administrators that are eager to learn and get certified?

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I think certification seekers fall into two catagories.

1st - Experienced techs that need to document their skills for career progression like promotions or job changes.

2nd - Inexperienced techs that need to learn skills to be successful and show familiarity with a product.

I fall under the second category. I like the structure provided by certifications as it gives me a quick and easy way to learn new areas of interest.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is STIG?

I fall under the 2nd too.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□

https://iase.disa.mil/stigs/Pages/index.aspx

The Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) are the configuration standards for DOD IA and IA-enabled devices/systems. Since 1998, DISA has played a critical role enhancing the security posture of DoD's security systems by providing the Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs). The STIGs contain technical guidance to "lock down" information systems/software that might otherwise be vulnerable to a malicious computer attack.

OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE