Options

Masters in Computer Science @ DSU

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

In my case I want to get into exploitation and knowing Computer Science is basically required.  
    So I used to think the same thing. I've always wanted to get into reverse engineering, malware research, and exploit development, and for the longest time I had made plans to go back and get either a BSCS or MSCS (GA Tech). However the more people I've followed that perform that, the more I found that they do not have CS backgrounds or degrees. Many are self taught as well. I'm sure having a CS background will only help, but some of the best out there, including ones putting out their own training, don't seem to have a CS degree or background. So I now figure that I will instead just focus my time on the courses and self learning out there for x86/x64 Assembly, C/C++, and the various reversing tools. I'll instead spend the time and money on Pentester Academy, OSCE/OSEE and the other courses out there. I still want to pursue CS but it's more because I find it fascinating, not as a pre-requisite for pursuing those types of jobs.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJoCal19 said:

In my case I want to get into exploitation and knowing Computer Science is basically required.  
    So I used to think the same thing. I've always wanted to get into reverse engineering, malware research, and exploit development, and for the longest time I had made plans to go back and get either a BSCS or MSCS (GA Tech). However the more people I've followed that perform that, the more I found that they do not have CS backgrounds or degrees. Many are self taught as well. I'm sure having a CS background will only help, but some of the best out there, including ones putting out their own training, don't seem to have a CS degree or background. So I now figure that I will instead just focus my time on the courses and self learning out there for x86/x64 Assembly, C/C++, and the various reversing tools. I'll instead spend the time and money on Pentester Academy, OSCE/OSEE and the other courses out there. I still want to pursue CS but it's more because I find it fascinating, not as a pre-requisite for pursuing those types of jobs.
    You are definitely correct about being able to do it on your own.  My two issues with that is as follows:

The biggest issue is I don't have the discipline to sit down and do it on my own.  Having a solid schedule and guidance is a requirement for me.  Get the basics and I'll have no problem expanding upon them, but getting there is a battle for me.

Smaller reason is I think it takes a certain kind of person to do exploitation without a Computer Science background (in my opinion).  Yes there are a percentage with no Computer Science background who are great at exploitation, but I'm sure the larger percentage have the background.

End of the day one has to do what is best for them.  If someone has the discipline to do it without a formal schedule I stand in awe of them for sure.  Best of luck on your studies!! 
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff