Options

PPP CHAP Q...

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
I'm trying to get a full grasp on the topic...

CHAP is a 1-way authentication method. When CHAP is used in both directions it is said to be a 2-way authentication method. When CHAP is used in both directions a separate 3-way handshake is initiated by each side.

I believe all of that to be correct. What I want to know is what the standard "real world" application is...is CHAP primarily used in both directions or just one? Thanks for the help.

Also, is the command "ppp authentication chap pap" ever used, or is pap pretty much completely phased out even for backup authentication services?

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrD wrote:

I believe all of that to be correct. What I want to know is what the standard "real world" application is...is CHAP primarily used in both directions or just one? Thanks for the help.
    Chap can be used in either one or two directions, it depends on your requirement.If you have a central site that accepts remote dialin's but doesnt dial out you would only used one way, if your central site also initiates dialin connections to remote sites you would use both directions.
    MrD wrote:
    Also, is the command "ppp authentication chap pap" ever used, or is pap pretty much completely phased out even for backup authentication services?
    Yes it is still used, good practice is to configure the chap and pap passwords differently.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Awesome, thanks for the help.