Got Interviewed, Other Opportunity - What do I do?
I've been unemployed for roughly 8 months but I've been sending out resumes, attending job fairs and getting some minor interviews (all during that time). TL;DR @ bottom.
Nothing has panned out until recently, where I managed to interview for a position I really wanted. Thing is, this job would require overtime and I'm likely to be taking public transportation (rails) for a commute that's roughly an hour and some extra (that's on ideal traffic; whereas I'm currently dealing with lots of construction in my area).
I got interviewed by the company and they've been in contact with me on and off this past week, asking for more info (on my person) but nothing has been set in stone.
Out of the blue, I got called up by another company today inquiring about another position that I could also really learn from and for which I'd be interested in.
They've set me up with an interview on Thursday for a location that's a ways bit closer than the previous mentioned position.
Right now, I'm really nervous because I don't know what I'm to say if the 1st company calls up and offers me the job. I really like what the position would offer but I don't think the commute is ideal at all. The pay rate is good if I'd be getting what I had asked for but as of right now, IDK.
The way I see it, I'm sitting right now with nothing in my basket. Both opportunities seem legitimate and offer equal benefits/compensation but there's no guarantee that I'd get a spot in either.
I can assume the 1st company is somewhat interested in me but I don't know what they're thinking. The second company seems really ideal for me right now just due to commute and because I can't afford to get my own place just yet. Problem is, I haven't interviewed with them yet.
Am I allowed to delay my response to an offer or what's generally accepted practice? In this case, should I even be able to do that? They're both kind of entry-level roles.
I'd hate it if I pissed off the first company, tried it out with the second company only to wind up with nothing.
The 1st company hasn't chimed in but that could be for valid reasons. Anyway, the interview with the second company is next week. This doesn't give me a great chance to hold out on the 1st company if they decide to call me up 1st thing Monday morning.