Options

RAM prob

Dubb RichDubb Rich Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've just added an extra 64 meg ram card to my PC. Now I have a total of 192 megs of memory. Since thenmy system crashed 3 times because of a RAM error. I ran Microsoft Memory Diagnostics and my memory seems to be fine. Can anybody help me out with this? icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Need more input 01 0101001 01000101 ;)

Tell us a little more about your system. What type of RAM is it, are they all PC100 or PC133 etc..
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Well from what you've provided, it sounds like the speed on the RAM is mismatched, though depending on the RAM that might not matter
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing I always do if new RAM doesn't work is remove the original and try the new one in the default slot. Then try adding the old one in the next slot. Some systems (like my first Abit) are very sensative and with mismatched RAM would only work when they were in slots 1 & 3, but not 1&2
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have had this problem before too, try the program memtest86 free from http://www.memtest86.com/ and it installs to a floppy that you boot from and it checks all your memory addresses. Some people think that ram works or it doesn't but this isn't the case and many times some addresses on a stick can be defective and cause crashes. By slowing down the timmings it can correct it if it's just a cheap generic stick, this has worked for me before. Other times it's not fixable and unsafe at any speeds and in that case it's time to try and get a refund, replacement, or cut your losses and just buy good new brand name ram that is approved for your board, it's worth the extra money. I once tried to save a few bucks by getting a "working pull" off ebay and it was a lemen, it would post up but crash while booting and it was NOT a compatibility problem because I had the same stick already in there but I bought that one new. Give that program a try and see what happens, it's a good tool and I keep a copy in my 'tool box' when I'm working on other peoples computers and trying to figure out why it is crashing all the time, it's not always the fault of Windows 98.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    also, check your cpu fan, incase you disconnected it by accident or knocked it off the processor. i remember doing the same with an internal printer connector when i was swapping out cards trying to fix a vga problem.

it may seem unlikely, by overheating is another thing to check for in system crashes.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Dubb RichDubb Rich Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The first 128 megs were two pc100 cards. The new 64 meg ram card is a pc133 and it is placed in the 3rd slot. Now I replaced the pc133 card with another pc100 64 meg card and so far I havent gotten any probs. icon_cool.gif