Options

A few Q

ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello folks

I am new to this 70-215 Windows 2000 Server test and i have a few questions if any one can please answer

*I was wondering if there are any simulators in the exam like Cisco exams?

*If yes, can i get any simulator to practice on my laptop?

*Yesterday i tried to set up a DC and attempted a workstation to join it. I named the domain test.com and gave it a name "DC" in the option where i am supposed to write preWin2000 name for it.

But when i wanted the 2000 client to join the domain it was unable to join it as test but when i tried DC it joined it. I wonder what was i doing wrong?

Sorry folks i am all new to MS stuff. I will get a book and will have to read and read...

thanks in advance
:study:

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    winikehwinikeh Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    No sims in 215.

Are you sure that hasn't been changed yet? Last I heard they were integrating sims into the MS exams across the board. I will be able to tell you soon.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    There wasn't a sim in 292 when I took it in April.

For the 2K domain name, did you enter TEST or TEST.COM? Big difference here. You have to use the FQDN of the domain if you are going to use the AD domain name and not the Netbios (pre 2K) domain name.

You can get away with resolving a host only by its host name if the querying host's default domain suffix is the same as the FQDN of the host you are querying since it will be automatically added. But this is not the case when you are querying the domain itself, or if the querying host has a different (if any) default domain suffix.

Also if your DNS client configuration is not pointing to the DNS server that holds the domain records, you are likely to get a join problem. Joining by netbios name may work in this case, though that is likely to fail further into the process since DNS is integral to the proper function of DCs and AD itself.