Options

Preparing for SND 642-551 exam

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
It feels like last year since I recertified my CCNA/CCDA by passing the BSCI exam, but Cisco just informed me that I have until early September to recertify. I already have the cisco guide for the BCMSN, but somehow I lost interest in 'building cisco multi-layer switched networks'. I don't know why but switches never had the same effect on me as routers. More importantly, I won't likely put the knowledge to work so most it would go lost over time.

So instead, I deciced to go for the Securing Network Devices exam from the CCSP track. I wrote some TechNotes for this exam already, and actually created and entire outline for a PDF version, meaning I went over all the exam objectives (found an error in it that Cisco corrected after I and Wildfire had to point it out to them several times) and it looks like it will serve nicely as a glue between my Cisco experience and infosec knowledge. And it gives me a good excuse to write more for this exam.

My lab consist of a 2501 router and another 2501 router... which will actually be of some use, but I'll need access to at least some of the other relevant equipment as well. IPS and VPN 3000 will be tough, but a PIX should be doable, though it'll likely be an older version. Maybe I'll try one of those online rack rentals, and Wildfire's lab if he still has a spot for me.

Any recommendations would be appreciated :D

Comments