Options

Load balancing varence?

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
Could someone explain this to me, or give me a link? The two books I have just confuse me.
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    The variance command is used when unequal-cost link load balancing is being used. The variance command controls the load balancing between the best metric and the worst acceptable metric.

Check out (bottom of page):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804a7166.html#wp1099338
  • Options
    dublin_101dublin_101 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nuglobe wrote:
    Could someone explain this to me, or give me a link? The two books I have just confuse me.

its between two or more UNEQUAL....

by default the variance is set at 1...which is actually EQUAL

VARIANCE means include links which are within x times amount of the highest link.....

so, if you have one link with bandwidth of 512, and another link with bandwidth of eg 112, you will need to make sure the variance will include the 112!

therefore, seeing 112 is approximately 5 times less than 512, the command of variance 5 would then include the 112 link and therefore unequal cost load balancing would commence......
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    dublin_101 wrote:
    nuglobe wrote:

its between two or more UNEQUAL....

by default the variance is set at 1...which is actually EQUAL

VARIANCE means include links which are within x times amount of the highest link.....

so, if you have one link with bandwidth of 512, and another link with bandwidth of eg 112, you will need to make sure the variance will include the 112!

therefore, seeing 112 is approximately 5 times less than 512, the command of variance 5 would then include the 112 link and therefore unequal cost load balancing would commence......

Thanks! So just for checking if the links were 32 and 190 I would use varence 6. It doesnt have to be the same, just as long as it is a little above it correct?
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    dublin_101dublin_101 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nuglobe wrote:

Thanks! So just for checking if the links were 32 and 190 I would use varence 6. It doesnt have to be the same, just as long as it is a little above it correct?

yes that is right.....because 190 / 6 = 30....so 6 is safe to use,,,,,so any other links within 6 times of 190 will be used.