Options

Are wireless headsets as bad as people say?

victorjohn9211victorjohn9211 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have heard from the people regarding radiation of the wireless or Bluetooth headsets. Many of them are too bad for our body, is it true?

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm a very skeptical person, and I never worried about it during my time selling them at RadioShack.  I know there are studies that measure the output power between standby and in-use, but I don't think there is anything definitive.  But then again, just breathing causes cancer... at least in California.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've read it is the bluetooth technology that gives off the radiation.  So not just wireless headphones... every bluetooth device.   But also that these bluetooth devices give off a tenth of what cell phones give off... So if you aren't worried about using your cell phone.  You definitely shouldn't be worried about the headphones.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look up the recommended distance for keeping your cell phone away from your head. I would lean towards it being bad, but no one seems to care.

I think reading about Tim Ferriss doing an experiment and keeping a cell phone in his front pocket affected his sperm cell count.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What happens if you keep it in the back pocket? Curious minds want to know.
  • Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    There is no real evidence that supports wireless headsets are bad for you. If that were true, all the gamers would be dying or dead. MANY things give off radiation....it's the amount that is significant. Radiation from Bluetooth tech just doesn't qualify as a significant amount. You're more likely to die from Doritos and sugary drinks, than radiation from Bluetooth. 

-MrNetTek at your service-
  • Options
    I’d imagine it would be similar to the front pocket.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would recommend researching ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation and then make the decision for yourself.  Personally, I make use of wireless/BT headsets every day with no concern.
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hip replacement lol
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2019
    MrNetTek said:
    There is no real evidence that supports wireless headsets are bad for you. If that were true, all the gamers would be dying or dead. MANY things give off radiation....it's the amount that is significant. Radiation from Bluetooth tech just doesn't qualify as a significant amount. You're more likely to die from Doritos and sugary drinks, than radiation from Bluetooth. 

-MrNetTek at your service-

LinkedIn  Tumblr  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Mix  My Blog

True.  Everything in moderation.  

I watch the news and one month they saw coffee is bad for, and you should avoid drinking.  The next month they saw you should have at least 2-3 cups of coffee a day. 

I would be more worried about losing my hearing if the head phones were turned up to loud, then the possibility of radiation. 
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    I don't use wireless headsets after my experience. Apparently it was operating very closely if not on the same band as my Wireless APs and so there was a lot of static/interference. Good ol' hard wire for me.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Cell phones, but interesting.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    It looks like Apple updated their notice from the last time I read it.  If anyone is interested the notice can be found on the iPhone by navigating to these settigs:

Settings > General > About > Legal > RF Exposure

The notice says:

”iPhone has been tested and meets applicable limits for radio frequency (RF) exposure.

Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) refers to the rate at which the body absorbs RF energy. The SAR limit is 1.6 watts per kilogram in countries that set the limit averaged over 1 gram of tissue and 2.0 watts per kilogram in countries that set the limit averaged over 10 grams of tissue. During testing, iPhone radios are set to their highest transmission levels and placed in positions that simulate uses against the head, with no separation, and when worn or carried against the torso of the body, with 5mm separation.

To reduce exposure to RF energy, use a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, the supplied headphones, or other similar accessories. Cases with metal parts may change the RF performance of the device, including its compliance with RF exposure guidelines, in a manner that has not been tested or certified.

SAR values for this device are available at: www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/iPhone10,1/en/

Although this device has been tested to determine SAR in each band of operation, not all bands are available in all areas. Bands are dependent on your service provider’s wireless and roaming networks.”

It would be interesting if RF exposure was linked to increased autism rates.
  • Options
    BarbaradsBarbarads Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although there’s been substantial research on the health risks associated with EMFs, there’s been very little on the safety of long-term radiation exposure from Bluetooth or wireless headphones, according to Joel M. Moskowitz, PhD, the director of the Center for Family and Community Health at University of California, Berkeley.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am glad I can read because I can't hear what you type.... LOL

Seriously, I try not to use headsets at all as it seems to make my hearing worse over time. I try to keep the volume minimal as to mitigate any issues.
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Butt cancer
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration