Options

vlan configuration issues

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
im using the RouterSim network Visualizer 5.0 and im having some trouble configuring VLANs on a 2950 switch.

to create a vlan the 2950 switch on the simulator i need to do the following command:

switch# conf t
switch(config)# interface vlan [number]

where the [number] is the number of the vlan i want to create.

Now this is confusing me becausei thought that to create a vlan i could just do the following:

#conf t
(config)#vlan [number]

where the [number] is the number of the vlan i want to create.

I only need to use the command interface vlan [number] on the 2950 router sim on a 1900 sim i can use the vlan [number] command, so is there a problem with the simulator or is that that correct command that would actaully work in a real 2950 router??

thanks

[/i]
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    Well if i were you i would most def invest in a home lab.. sure you can get by with simulators, but as the saying goes "Great chefs dont learn how to cook on kitchen simulators" icon_cool.gif If you plan to pursue cisco as a career you gotta get you some hardware man. Were all on a budge but im sure with some seraching you can find yourself a good price on some 2500's and 2900 switches. But back to ur question, have you tried

2950#Vlan database
    2950(vlan)#vlan #

You should really create vlans though in global config mode, but go ahead and give that a shot. creating vlans in global config mode does work on 2950, so it might be issue with your simulator. Good Luck!
    Switches are bridges on steroids!
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    i can do it the following commands on the 2950

switch>enable
    switch#vlan database
    switch(vlan)#vlan 20
    % Incomplete command.
    switch(vlan)#vlan 20 name vlan20
    VLAN 20 added:
    Name: vlan20
    switch(vlan)#

so yea looks like the simulator might be a bit crap... i have been looking on ebay for some switches and stuff but cant really find any. Thanks for your help
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net