Core by June 30, 2006

PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
How about a sound off from everyone who has the Core Scheduled or will schedule to take the exam by June 30?

If you have not scheduled your exam yet, why not?
Plantwiz
_____
"Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?

Comments

• dimamadimama Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello,

Am scheduled to take the exam week Fri, 23... But am a bit shaken by your msg. Did you have something in mind that you wanted to share with us... after a clear it I intend to tackle OS by end of July backed my my 7 years exp in IT...

Any tips?????????
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Nothing intended by the message. Mainly wanted a 'show-of-hands' on who was working on it as well as who could set a goal of the end-of-the-month and complete their A+.

As far as tips?
    Have an much real experience as possible before signing up the exam. Be familiar with the Objectives for the exam from CompTIA. Mostly have as much practicle hands-on knowledge of hardware and OSs before moving forward. While it is possible to pass the exam with only book knowledge, you'll be a more desirable employee and better long-term tech if you have actual working experience.

Relax and rest the day before, maybe a light review of the objectives or Mike Meyer's book. After that point, you know what you know and you'll need to concentrate on doing your best vs. scoring 'x' number of points. (yes, the points matter, but I don't think it is "OK" to anticipate one has scored enough points to pass merely to let the rest of the exam slide.

Read each question carefully but quickly. Mark questions you don't immediately know the answer. Get through the exam, then review (and answer at this point) your marked questions. Make sure every question has an answer and Finish/Submit the exam.

Keep us posted on how you do! And if you have questions about any of the objectives, post them in the forums :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• jeffm_95677jeffm_95677 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I'm almost ashamed to respond but I now have the Thomson A+ Core HW Cert manual with Certblaster and CBT. After 26 years with HP in the mini computer business (HP3000) I thought I could just blow through this at home. Well, the manual is a New York phone book! In '96 HP sent me through MCSE NT 3.51 classes but pulled the program after I passed three tests. I was an MCP which has now expired. I need to get back into the mix but find EVERY employer wants CERTS, CERTS, and more CERTS! I thought this was a good place to start. If I had the means I'd let someone train me. But now, thanks to this site and the expertise of many, I think I might have a chance.
    So, what's a ballpark figure to get through this course at home, eight hours a day, before I might see the light of a local A+ Cert Testing Center? And NO, it won't be June 30th :D
    Jeff
  • xcanucxcanuc Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed Hardware on the 23rd with a 743 and I am scheduled to take Software on the 30th. I hope I pass that. Then onto 270. Woo-Hoo, I have no life. icon_cry.gif
    Steve
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    xcanuc wrote:
    Woo-Hoo, I have no life. icon_cry.gif

Haha I feel you man, studying can get too tedious at times.

Good luck to anyone taking CH, its not a difficult exam if you adequately prepare.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
    xcanuc wrote:
    Just passed Hardware on the 23rd with a 743 and I am scheduled to take Software on the 30th. I hope I pass that. Then onto 270. Woo-Hoo, I have no life. icon_cry.gif

Congrats!

jeffm_95677,
    Hang in there! The exam is not difficult if you are familar with the material. If much of it is new to you then just take it at a steady pace. Maybe one time to get through everything semi-quickly, then a second and third pass over areas you need a little more review.

You'll get it!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• xcanucxcanuc Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I just passed the OS cert. I hope to never see 3.x to NT ever again. icon_wink.gif
    Steve
    xcanuc wrote:
    Thanks. I just passed the OS cert. I hope to never see 3.x to NT ever again. icon_wink.gif

Congratulations!

You know, you'll find yourself scrounging around for some old hardware to run a copy of Dos 3.0 like the rest of us and be excited when you find something with 8MB of RAM on it ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____