Options

Which book should I get for 70-270??

wolflord97wolflord97 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sup all. I would like to know which book out there should I get for 270?? I just passed Net+, and I am getting ready for it.

I have WinXP Pro Resource Kit Documentation already, but that's a lot of reading!!! I need something that would act sorta like a guide for that book. Like which topics would be more important to concentrate on.

I saw some posts in this section that mentioned the MS Press MCSE 70-270 book, the Exam Cram 2, and the Mike Meyers' one.

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Ching

Comments

• Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont know if this will help but I'm buying the exam cram2.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I got the 70-270 training kit from MS press, I always buy the training kit for MS exams, for several reasons:
    - It's from MS (their exams)
    - Usually contains evaluation software
    - The lab exercises
    - Same info as in the MOCs
    - Looks nice with the rest of my MS training kit collection ;)
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I entirely agree with Webmaster. Most of the other books I saw studying for the 210 sucked, I finally broke down and forked over the 60 bucks for the Self Paced kit from MS Press. In addition to having a nice 15% discount voucher for the exam, it covered everything nicely and the tools provided on the CD-ROM were quite helpful. I won't be touching anything but the MS Press books for the other exams.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Another side-note to microsoft books. This is not really regarding the 270. but i bought a msce core kit. with several books in it. But it was the first edition (white ones). After I started into the 210, I went to barnes and nobel and checked out their second edition(blue). Needless to say, i could not distiguish a difference.

just a note

pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    icon_exclaim.gif The difference between the first editions and the blue ones are the dosens, perhaps hudreds, of corrections.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Yeah, but the pictures are all the same, so it's no difference for me :P
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    getronicsgetronics Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So far I am deciding between the following books for MS Windows XP (70-270)

- Sybex, Exam Gear, MS Press, McGraw-Hill Osborne

Any advice is welcome but I need it soon so I could start studying.

Regards
    icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Sybex plus this site and any other sites that I could get questions from without compromising my wallet or risking a deluge of spam. The Sybex definitely covers the subject but what really helps is having a network with Windows 2000 Server or 2003 Server domain controller. Maybe a spare HDD as well for playing with sysprep (a much better sysprep than W2k) RIS or other installations. I think the 270, well all MS exams really, are in a different league to Network+ they really like you to know all the switches for the executables and what they are for. Be prepared to soak up lots of minor detail for the exam, of course after the exam you can just look in a book like a normal person but on the day you must know kung-fu. Can anyone remember how to manually assign a DRA on a standalone system the day after the exam?
    Not me, but on the day I could recite it backwards while spinning plates.
  • Options
    I think most sybex books are very good, but for MS exams I prefer the MS Press Training Kit for all the obvious reasons.
  • Options
    wolflord97wolflord97 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I had the Resource Kit Doc already, so I decided to just get the Exam Cram 2 for 270 to server me as a guide. I read a chapter on EC then I go over that topic on the Resource Kit. I don't know if this is a good combination though. Anybody has a say on this?

Ching