Firewall suggestions

advanex1advanex1 CASP, MCSA 2016, MCSA 2012, CCNA, Security+, Network+, Project+, Server+Posts: 352Member ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

Looking to update/upgrade my home firewall. I want to make sure it's GE compatible and won't break the bank. I would say $500 would be good. Would prefer no subscriptions to have to maintain most of the features. What is everyone using? Any suggestions/input?
Order of Certifications to come: CISM, C|EH, CISA
2019 certification tests taken: CISSP (Passed - awaiting endorsement), MCSA: 2016 (Passed), CCNA (Re-certification - Passed)
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Posts: 919Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like PFsense, but hey, it's been a minute since I rolled my own.
  • deadjoedeadjoe Posts: 21Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sophos UTM Home Edition
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Security+, CCENT, ITIL Foundation, A+ Madison, WIPosts: 363Admin Admin
    My vote goes to OPNsense if you're looking to have a bit more control over the hardware. If you'd rather just buy something off the shelf, I've had my eyes on the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 6P for a while, which seems to check all your boxes, plus it supports PoE.

Let us know what you end up deciding on, and how it works out for you!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • advanex1advanex1 CASP, MCSA 2016, MCSA 2012, CCNA, Security+, Network+, Project+, Server+ Posts: 352Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Infosec_Sam I wasn't seeing the actual firewall solutions on the edgerouter. Do you have another source for it? Thanks!
    Order of Certifications to come: CISM, C|EH, CISA
    2019 certification tests taken: CISSP (Passed - awaiting endorsement), MCSA: 2016 (Passed), CCNA (Re-certification - Passed)
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Security+, CCENT, ITIL Foundation, A+ Madison, WIPosts: 363Admin Admin
    advanex1 said:
    @Infosec_Sam I wasn't seeing the actual firewall solutions on the edgerouter. Do you have another source for it? Thanks!
    Ahh, that may be because it doesn't have any - I got a couple things mixed up in my head! Ubiquiti's firewall solution is actually the Unifi Security Gateway, which I believe checks all your boxes as well, but this one doesn't have PoE. However, if you ever choose to buy more Ubiquiti products in the future, they'll all be manageable through a single portal (license is free, so long as you host it locally).
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do