Brand New and Trying To Learn

MichaelLearningtonMichaelLearnington Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited October 2019 in CompTIA

Hello everyone!

My name is Michael and I just signed up to this forum. I am posting this question on multiple similar websites with the hope of getting some advice and guidance on how to start a career in the IT field. I know everyone is busy with their lives and careers, but I do want to take a moment to give a huge thanks ahead of time to those who take a minute out of their day to post here. I truly do appreciate it.

I have a four-year degree, but it’s not related to business nor computers nor mathematics. I do have some experience working in IT but it’s very simple and basic. Think of something that’s not even tier one help desk. It was a mix between retail and very small businesses. I do know the very basics but when it comes to terminology and how systems function, I know very little. I’m currently a K-7 math tutor and substitute.

From what I have gathered and been reading online everyone is suggesting either a type of Microsoft certification or COMPTIA certification. Diving deeper it seems that specifically Network+ from COMPTIA is probably the best place for me to start if I want to dive into a career path in IT and make a livable wage while still being able to grow and progress myself. I found an exam guide by Mike Meyers for Network+ Exam N10-007 and free videos on YouTube by Professor Messer. I must admit that most of the terminology are terms and phrases that I have never heard of, but I understand their importance. Even simple terms such as TCP, IP, DSL, and UDP I find myself having to look up and watch videos on in order to just grasp the basic concepts and definitions of. I do like it though, it’s rewarding and enjoyable to learn and strive towards a career in IT. Are there other “easier” certification exams that I can study for (which are noob friendly) that people would suggest over Network+ but also can land at least a basic job that has decent pay? Something minimum starting $40k+ but room for growth?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on effective ways to study for Network+ N10-007 and any other resources or guides (preferably free) that I can look over to understand basic terminology that is required or expected from someone studying for this certification exam? Again, thank you in advance to everyone who is taking time out of their busy schedules to post here and guide me in the right direction. I very much want to get into the IT career path and become successful. Thanks all!

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I studied for the Network+ exam I used the Mike Meyers All in One book.  I’m not sure how useful the book for the current exam is.

What specifically do you want to do in IT?  You might want to start compiling all of your IT experience into a resume and start looking at job postings in your area to see the types of skills they are asking for.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When i started in IT, CompTIA Network+ was the first certification that I took. Looking at the CompTIA website, they offer the IT Fundamentals (ITF+) as an introduction to basic IT knowledge and skills. 40K is about the starting point for your first position. Take a look at some local government (city, county, special districts, water, power) entry level positions at www.governmentjobs.com

Good Luck

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • MichaelLearningtonMichaelLearnington Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for your replies! 

I am unsure of what I "specifically" want to do in IT to be honest, but, I do know that I want to work with people and solve problems. I find both the security side of IT and how different machines communicate to each other on a network interesting. I also, if we're being completely honest here, do want to get into IT because it pays well and always has potential for growth. I want to have a safe and secure career that's always growing and expanding while forcing me to learn and keep up to date. 

I did take a look at ITF+ and A+ but both are (from what I have seen on job listings via INDEED.com) extremely common and not as valuable. The reason I want to jump into Network+ (N10-007) is because it's considered an "intermediate" certification and is in more demand. All of this information is new to me, I must admit, but I am spending a few hours each day reading and learning. 

Thank you by the way for the advice and suggestions on the job listings. I'll definitely do more research on entry-level jobs and see what is in demand and what is requested. I do want to have some sort of certification before applying though, unless there are $40k+ starting positions for people without anything formal yet.

Does anyone suggest good resources that help you grasp and understand Network+ more effectively? I have been watching Professor Messer on YouTube but do have to pause the videos often to look up what he is talking about. My greater concern is where I can find practice simulation questions or practice exams. Free or paid. Same with resources. 

Do you guys feel that Network+ is a tough thing to jump into without already having ITF+ and A+ under my belt?
  • shahlapirniashahlapirnia Registered Users Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @MichaelLearnington

I personally like the free video clips made by PowerCert Animated Videos on YouTube. I suggest you subscribe to this channel and take time out of your days to view all the short video clips. New video clips are added from time to time. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PowerCertAnimatedVideos
    WIP: Security+ 601
  • MichaelLearningtonMichaelLearnington Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much! That's a very useful YouTube channel for a beginner like myself! I want to ask, since you have both ITF+ and A+ under your belt, which one did you go for first and how difficult were they to obtain? Were you able to get a job after getting either of the certs?