Options

should I get NET+ Before Security+

WesTheManWesTheMan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
should I get NET+ Before Security+ And should I just go to college first and then get cert after? I really want to move wisely and not waste time. Any guidance from the OG Vets?

Answers

• Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I have the Sec+ without the Net+, but I do have a CCENT, working towards a CCNA, so I've got some networking experience. I think it's important to know about networking before diving into security, if only because it gives you some better context of what it is you're securing. I've heard that the Net+ makes the Sec+ much easier, since a lot of the topics are prefaced in the Net+, so that may influence your decision. 

Ultimately it's up to you, but I think you'd struggle to find a way to regret picking up the Network+.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This depends. If you need the certifications for work then get them to show some initiative.

If you want to do it for school, wait until you join. You may use it in lieu of a class or two. You may want to talk to your counselor.

I have both. I did the Net+ first and then followed it up with the Sec+. They do have some domains that blend into each other. If you are more familiar one than the other, do it first.

Good luck!