Options

Help me Decide...

alexander007alexander007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
If you are in the university and you get the opportunity to work as a Junior Network Administrator....would you stop the university and continue full time with the job?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No, not likely. Maybe under certain circumstances, but in general no, I'd finish the degree.
  • Options
    okieokie Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Finish the degree (I wish I would have and now it's not easy to get the time).

I (like every other IT person I know) would rather work with experience than a degree, but you can get the exp. by volunteering, working cheap, or setting up a lab at home.
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on where you want to go with your career.

Sys admin/help desk jobs don't require a college education. A vocational education would be more appropriate.

If you want to get into engineering or management, then a 4 year degree would be a requirement. A masters degree would also be very beneficial.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Speaking as someone who holds a degree with no experience, I would say go for the job if the pay is good or if there is room to advance. Find out if the company will help pay for school.

It might take longer to get the degree, but you'll have the experience to go with it. You can always work on your certs if the classes you need don't fit around your work schedule every quarter/semester.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    it depends, if the job is one you would be satisfied with after the degree then go for the job and finish the degree while on the job, but you know if you would have the discipline to follow through with a plan like this.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Get the job and go to school part time. Check to see if they will help pay for your degree. By the time you're done you will have plenty of experience to go with your degree.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree- get the job and go to school either full time or part time.

I got my first job working as a student technician and then got the lead IT position my senior year.. granted they did not pay me much starting, however great experience and I went to school full time (took night classes).