If you are an MCDST are u guaranteed a helpdesk job?

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
As the subject asks, if you gain MCDST status, can one get a job a level 1 or level 2 helpdesk job easily? MCDST is an entry level IT exam, so with MCDST what are odds of one getting an entry level position? Do employers look highly of this exam ? O and BTW, i'm going for the 70-272 exam tomorrow, if i pass i get MCDST, icon_eek.gif Thats why i was wondering will i have a real chance of picking up a decent entry level IT job with this cert, or did i just waste my time learning windows xp? B/c i'm tired of my minimum wage job that i have now... !!!!

I do plan on getting MCSA i know that is considered better then MCDST, and MCDST does meet MCSA elective requirement, so if employers dont care about my MCDST, i can still impress them with my MCSA :P

Comments

• evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will never be guaranteed a job with a certification. Getting the job will depend on your interviewing skills, experience, and even soft skills in addition to the certification. You will have a better chance than if you did not have the certification. What experience do you have in Help Desk?
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    erm i dont have any experience, thats why i said what chances of getting an "entry level" IT position. Right now i'm just a CSR at my local pizza hut.
    Give it your best shot. Work on your soft skills and interviewing and don't be afraid to get others to look at your resume. I revise resumes all the time for my students.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
    can u look at my resume? give me ur IM addy and i'll add u, thanks
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    win2k4 wrote:
    ... or did i just waste my time learning windows xp?

Evanderburg gave some great advise and answers, so I just wanted to add that even entry-level helpdesk jobs are not easy, and sometimes they pay about the same money you can make delivering pizza (in a good area)... but if you are considering IT as a career, getting an entry-level job (especially in a helpdesk) can get you the necessary experience and soft skills required to get to the next step, where you will start being "shown the money". So, is MCDST going to get you a "good" entry-level helpdesk job... probably not by itself. Remember, except for maybe a CCIE or MCT, employers don't hire certs, they hire people with experience (and the certificates are usually a reflection of that).

Good luck, and stay positive. But anyway you look at it, I can't see you ever wasting "your time learning windows xp" unless you don't plan to use it (even if you don't get a helpdesk job).

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
    can u look at my resume? give me ur IM addy and i'll add u, thanks

win2k4: Did you get my PM about your resume last week? Just email it to me and I will take a look at it.
    yes got ur PM i will send my resume right away, thanks again for looking at it :D