AWAE Journey (Starting Jan, 2020)

si20si20 Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
I started WAPT by eLearnSecurity and got 50% through before my workplace decided that I should do AWAE (90 days) then return to WAPT. There's a long backstory to it, but it's not too important. Essentially, I start AWAE Sunday 26th January.

Skill level prior to starting: OSCP, OSWP. Worked as a Security Analyst for approx 3 years, web app pentester for the last year. I have very limited scripting abilities. I'm a relatively quick learner, so i'll give it all i've got and give very regular updates. 

I'll be 100% honest - i'm truly not expecting to pass this, let alone understand it all. I had intended to do WAPT in early 2020 and AWAE in late 2020, but for numerous reasons, I have to do AWAE first (can't go into it, work-related).

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Senior Member Member Posts: 1,936 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have the backing from your employer it makes sense to switch over. It doesn't matter how hard the exam may be, it is about the effort you put into the journey. The journey will gain you so much experience.

Good luck and enjoy the course! 
    2020 Goals:
    Courses: VHL (3 month pass)
    Certs: OSCP (in-progress), AZ-500 (in-progress), MS-500, Pentester Academy - CRTE
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 731 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well.. at least WAPT and AWAE are both web application certs... Sure AWAE look more intensive but if work mandate this, and if they do this I am betting there is some contract requirement under that, so you will have their backing to do that certs. (money and time specially)
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, 63 days left of AWAE and i've logged in approximately twice so far. I've just had no time whatsoever. I'm working off a 14" laptop. I know, I know. Sounds like excuses. But I've had an issue in my personal life that will be on-going for a while. It's safe to say this course has been a total failure from the get-go. If it was given to me at the end of this year (2020) I think i'd be all over it. As it stands, the timer is counting down and it's too late really. I know I can't pass it in the remaining time.

I am a bit gutted because I know work wont pay for another 90 days, so i'm screwed really. I guess for anyone reading this: make sure you have 90 days TOTALLY FREE and access to a good computer with approx 2-3 monitors (thank me later). Attempting this course with a 14" laptop and extremely little time is just not worth it.
  • yoba222yoba222 Senior Member Member Posts: 1,094 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At this point, maybe try not to aim for a pass but instead just try and grind out like 30 days worth of quality studying. That way if you get another chance in a few months or a year, you're not starting again from zero.
    2017: GCIH | LFCS
    2018: CySA+ | PenTest+ |CCNA CyberOps
    2019: VHL 20 boxes
    2020: OSCP 2020
  • chrisonechrisone Senior Member Member Posts: 1,936 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited February 24
    Don't give up! even if its just 30 days of decent studying just don't let is pass. Try to get in 30 minutes a day or every other day, try to go over certain topics during your bathroom breaks, sit on the toilet and try to read the course book. Wake up at 6am on saturday/sunday and log into the lab a bit. 

Ever heard of the 5 minute habit stacking method? It has helped many people get started in doing something they don't have any desire to do. Basically dedicate 5 minutes a day, the time of your choosing, do the task or don't do it (the point is to just show up for those 5 minutes), eventually add a minute when you feel you want to start 6 minutes to your daily task, stay consistent, build your new habit and increase the time you spend on that habit.

You have 60 days left, give the 5 minute habit stacking method 15 days to increase your desire and schedule. When you have the habit and desire built up, you will have 45 days of lab time left. Even then you can choose to go hard core gun blazing those last few days or just continue your stacking. Either way it was not an opportunity lost and you should try to take the test, you never know, you may just pass.

Good luck and I hope you give those 10-15 days of habit stacking a chance.    
    2020 Goals:
    Courses: VHL (3 month pass)
    Certs: OSCP (in-progress), AZ-500 (in-progress), MS-500, Pentester Academy - CRTE
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 731 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edited February 24
    Well... first, buy 1 or 2 monitors(depending on your situation)... you should receive them in 48h or less :)  First easy problem solved :)

Then, bolt yourself to your laptop and new monitor and "Try harder" :)  It seem harsh, but it is looking like false excuse. Your company gave you the chance to do it, they are expecting you to do it.   Also as @chrisone said, start his 5 minutes habits... (in your case, I would suggest 15-30 minutes first) but just start keep it flowing.