Options

Confusion about Effective Permissions

flanqueflanque Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

A bit of confusion with effective permissions. I understood that the effective permissions tool under the advanced section of security for a folder or share will tell you given a user or group, what their permissions to that share or folder are after taking considoration all permission settings, be it either NTFS or share.

Today I was confused because I had compared my effective permissions on a folder which did not have inherited NTFS permissions and it said that I had full control. All the checkboxes were ticket, however I was denied any write access to that folder.

I don't know the share permissions so that could have been it but in this environment the security control to shares and folders is meant to be entirely based on NTFS.

Have I misunderstood the effective permissions tool?

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Are you accessing this locally? In that case you might be denied by membership in a group that is explicitly denied (you said there are no inherited permissions).

Over the network? Definitely share permissions. You have to have at least Modify to be able to write.

Also AFAIR the effective permissions tab only calculates the NTFS permissions.
    witty comment