Options

Graduate with specialization in Cyber Security

wils91wils91 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I am a graduate who is working at a Data Center Associate, and I am ready to apply for jobs. I currently have a CEH and looking to study for the Security + certification. I am living in Seattle, Washington, but I am open to relocating. I am excited to begin my cybersecurity career! Thanks for the help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck. You have two avenues of approach. Start by obtaining some IT field related skills such as: Development, Infrastructure, DBA or administration. You cannot secure anything unless you understand how it works in the first place. Most of us come from infrastructure and administrative rolls not from a direct to InfoSec career path. Also, understand the difference between InfoSec and cyber by actually reading the ISO definition. This generally comes as a surprise to most people who over use the word 'cyber' like an article or participle before everything. , Ga

On the electronic side, look for entry level roles in a SOC, if available. Since most companies have either opted to drop or outsource these positions they are becoming more difficult to find due to the competition for entry.

Put your CV and resume (two different things entirely) on Indeed, Dice, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, etc and talk to the recruiters doing the screening. Find out what they are looking for and how you can improve your chances of hire. You have far more competition than you think. Be prepared to fight your way into any IT career.

- b/eads
  • Options
    wils91wils91 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads said:
    Good luck. You have two avenues of approach. Start by obtaining some IT field related skills such as: Development, Infrastructure, DBA or administration. You cannot secure anything unless you understand how it works in the first place. Most of us come from infrastructure and administrative rolls not from a direct to InfoSec career path. Also, understand the difference between InfoSec and cyber by actually reading the ISO definition. This generally comes as a surprise to most people who over use the word 'cyber' like an article or participle before everything. , Ga

On the electronic side, look for entry level roles in a SOC, if available. Since most companies have either opted to drop or outsource these positions they are becoming more difficult to find due to the competition for entry.

Put your CV and resume (two different things entirely) on Indeed, Dice, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, etc and talk to the recruiters doing the screening. Find out what they are looking for and how you can improve your chances of hire. You have far more competition than you think. Be prepared to fight your way into any IT career.

- b/eads
    Thank you B/eads! I have my resume on those sites and I am networking on LinkedIn. Also, I am applying for any IT position that I can. 
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Join and attend some security/technology groups in your area.  Meetup.com is a decent place you might find some.   Great way to meet others in the space, hear about open job positions, stay up to date on topics and will make you look extremely good in interviews showing that you are actually interested in subject (instead of just getting certs and being a paper chaser)