Options

Where do I start?

ThadPVillaniThadPVillani Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□

I want to get network, but I just need to know where to really start. Should I get network + and start from there or can I start with CCENT? If I can only work at Cisco, does it matter if I learn net + completely? What does one cover but not the other?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    You no longer get the CCENT with the recent certification changes. The CCNA is one cert. The Network+ is more of an entry level cert and helps beginners understand networking concepts. The Network+ is also a vendor neutral certification whereas the CCNA purely focuses on Cisco technologies. Both serve its purpose, it's up to you really where you want to start. Personally I think the CCNA is more recognisable and sought after on candidate CVs/Resumes, and as it's just one cert now it's easier to obtain.
    thanks for ur answer
  • Options
    anyone can give me more advice
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think @Skyliinez92 summed it up for the most part. I went with the CCNA due to it's recognition and it aligned better with the direction I am trying to take.

Nowadays I normally just recommend the CompTIA trifecta if someone is trying to get into IT and are unsure of their direction: A+, Network+, Security+

It covers a lot of bases and will help you to land that first role.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Practice makes competence. If you have a computer resale shop anywhere nearby look for a good working Cisco switch and router for building a basic lab. There are any number of after market books out there that will help you learn both theory and lab at home. Nothing fancy but the hands on stuff will help more than just trying to memorize facts out of a book.

Was never a fan of the CCENT. If you are capable of passing that exam you are also capable of just passing the CCNA in a bit longer form.

You will need to learn some Linux as well as Cisco is built on Linux platforms and since networking will increasingly be cloud based you'll want to follow up with how networking works off-premises. Learning Windows server is drawing to an end. Microsoft SQL 2019 is completely Linux based with more Microsoft products heading in that direction as well. Still, you need that Linux networking at both the client as well as the server side to see how things work and more importantly don't work.

Throughout your learning, pay particular attention to troubleshooting and not just memorizing what you think should be happening. Probably the most likely Achilles heel for most techs as they start out is to become flustered when things do go as planned. Learn to troubleshoot before calling the help desk and be well.

Lastly, ask questions after your stumped and no longer making forward progress not before. Its a lazy habit people get into and it shows.

Good luck and look forward to answering questions.

- b/eads
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found that the material I learned in the Network+ was very helpful when I later pursued and obtained the CCNA. I wasn't in a hurry and two overlapping certs does cost a bit more. The actual value of the piece of paper that says I am Network+ certified isn't useful to me at all at my current career point so it was really about the learning value of studying for the certification combined with the drive created by having a goal of passing the Network+ exam.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not waste your money on taking the actual network+ exam itself. My advice if you really want to be taken seriously by interviewers for networking jobs is to go straight for your CCNA and keep going up to your CCNP if you want to get in the deep stuff, even go for Juniper certifications too. Only use the network+ content to help you learn about the basics of networking, thats it. I mean, the Network+ is $329.99 friggin dollars. The CCNA is $300. See where I'm going with this? Certs are already expensive enough as it is, you want to get the full value. My personal experience, CCNA covers everything the Network+ does and on a deeper level. 

I seriously hate the CompTia hype, yes I have a couple of them and regret the money wasted on the certs themselves. They’re only good for foundational stuff, no one should be screwed out of $300-400 for comptia certs however. Yes, I learned from them but thats where all the benefits ended. Much better certs out there that are certainly worth paying for that will actually get you legit callbacks. I mean dang, even helpdesk and support jobs are starting to ask for CCNA too. 

As far as working at Cisco, I haven't seen any networking-only jobs on indeed. They seem to want software engineering/UI people and customer/sales people. You're going to have to do your research in that regard.

Good luck.
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    Neil86 said:
    I think @Skyliinez92 summed it up for the most part. I went with the CCNA due to it's recognition and it aligned better with the direction I am trying to take.

Nowadays I normally just recommend the CompTIA trifecta if someone is trying to get into IT and are unsure of their direction: A+, Network+, Security+

It covers a lot of bases and will help you to land that first role.

thank u
  • Options
    DFTK13 said:
    Do not waste your money on taking the actual network+ exam itself. My advice if you really want to be taken seriously by interviewers for networking jobs is to go straight for your CCNA and keep going up to your CCNP if you want to get in the deep stuff, even go for Juniper certifications too. Only use the network+ content to help you learn about the basics of networking, thats it. I mean, the Network+ is $329.99 friggin dollars. The CCNA is $300. See where I'm going with this? Certs are already expensive enough as it is, you want to get the full value. My personal experience, CCNA covers everything the Network+ does and on a deeper level. 

I seriously hate the CompTia hype, yes I have a couple of them and regret the money wasted on the certs themselves. They’re only good for foundational stuff, no one should be screwed out of $300-400 for comptia certs however. Yes, I learned from them but thats where all the benefits ended. Much better certs out there that are certainly worth paying for that will actually get you legit callbacks. I mean dang, even helpdesk and support jobs are starting to ask for CCNA too. 

As far as working at Cisco, I haven't seen any networking-only jobs on indeed. They seem to want software engineering/UI people and customer/sales people. You're going to have to do your research in that regard.

Good luck.

thank u