Options

home lab -- feeback

2»

Comments

• Options
    cthaocthao Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi

I am currenlty working on my CCNA and I believed I finally acquired all the my routers\switches\cabling for my home lab.

I have the following:
    2 x 2950T
    1 x 3550 EMI
    1 x 3620 with 1 NM-1FE2W, NM-4A/S (will used as a Frame Relay Switch)
    1 x 2651 with WIC-2T
    1 x 2610XM with WIC-2T
    1 x 2650XM with WIC-2T
    1 x 1760-V with WIC-2T
    1 x 1721 with 2WIC-T, 1WIC-1ENET

At work, I have been been given if I wanted 2 x 2620. Is the 2620 better than the 3620? Was considering replacing the 3620 with the 2620. Do I need another router for my home lab or do I have enough? what do you guys think?

My next device would probaly be a NM-16A (dont think I want another device on the rack) or a PWR 3550 as I want to work on the CCNA-V before CCNP.

Is there an internet site where I can go to to figure out how to setup the best CCNA topology to cover\include all the materials (RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, Frame Relay, etc) without dismantling it every time I want to try something new. does that make sense? icon_rolleyes.gif

I am currently using CBT nuggets, and Chris Bryant's CCNA study guide.

thanks
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    You've got plenty of routers for now.

2620 vs 3620 depends on the memory and flash each has .
    Performance wise they are quite similar if you compare specs
    and both are limited in the versions of ios they can run(not that up to date).
    The 3620 can take slightly more flash but both have same ram limit.

Cisco 2600 Series Router Architecture [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems
    Cisco 3600 Series Multifunction Platforms (3620 and 3640/3640A) [Cisco 3600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

Could have both, sell them and use the money for something else e.g nm-16 or nm32 + octal cables.
    or
    Can you set up the 2620 at work so you can use it at lunchtime/when much isn't happening at work ?

Better to save you cash for when you get to ccnp or want to do ccna voice or ccvp and need the ip phones, vic-2fx wics , pvdm's and other addins.
    eg http://www.certificationkits.com/ccna-voice-lab/

There isn't just one topology and its only a few cables to change around or different interfaces to enable/disable.

There are different topologies for different topic areas.

The point of having a home lab is being able to reconfigure it when and how you like , not keeping it fixed on just one topology.

Cisco Cert Zone: CCNA Lab II: How Topologies Drive Device Choices
    CCNA Topologies
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014