Options

Potential Job Change GOV to Contractor?

DiffieHellman173DiffieHellman173 Registered Users Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
Some background, I've been a GS2210 for about 5 years now serving as a SYSADMIN working side by side with multiple contractors. Recently I was offered a contract position that pays >150 with benefits and paid relocation. The down side is, the contract is up for bid in Jan. I'm 33 and have no wife, kids or debt.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Difficult choice, currently if you are permanent somewhere, I would suggest to keep your job. In those kind of period, I think I would be more carefull. 

But as you dont have any kids, wife and debt(very important), if you have a bit of saving and no health issue, you could take the risk to take that contract... But it is still a gamble. 

Also, it would depend on where you are relocating, consider the after contract.. If after that contract, you are in a bad place for IT or jobs in general, it is not worth the move. 
  • Options
    DiffieHellman173DiffieHellman173 Registered Users Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Difficult choice, currently if you are permanent somewhere, I would suggest to keep your job. In those kind of period, I think I would be more carefull. 

But as you dont have any kids, wife and debt(very important), if you have a bit of saving and no health issue, you could take the risk to take that contract... But it is still a gamble. 

Also, it would depend on where you are relocating, consider the after contract.. If after that contract, you are in a bad place for IT or jobs in general, it is not worth the move. 

I would be relocating from Italy to Germany. Contracts seem to be ever rotating throughout the location that I would be going to. I appreciate the feedback. I'm leaning more towards holding out for the stability.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am pretty sure that stability is a better choice for the next year.  You are in a good position to take that gamble, but it is still risky.  In my case(wife, daughter, home, "normal debt"), I would not do that.