Options

GIAC Proctoring -ProctorU

WhiteMilkWhiteMilk Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited April 2020 in GIAC
May 18, remote proctoring will be available for A GIAC exam. The following as I am aware, currently or will soon offer remote proctoring.

VmWare
CompTia
ISACA
GIAC
Microsoft

I did an ITIL remotely years ago, i just can’t remember the provider. 

I am still waiting for ISC2.

If you know any others, please list them below. This is a perfect time to seek self improvement. Most people have a lot more time on our hands, to go back to work more knowledgeable.

Comments

• Options
    WhiteMilkWhiteMilk Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got a proctoring email from Cisco.

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last week , I had to schedule my GPEN exam for June 1st.. but maybe I will try to switch to Proctor-U. 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I don't think (ISC)2 is going the online proctoring route. It is too easy to have a process running in the background recording the exam's content in the Web browser. We may see a new wave of cert exam "study materials" because of this adaptive innovation used to keep the revenue flowing. This will force the cert vendors to rotate and replace their exam items more frequently. More job opportunities will result for exam item writers, I suppose.

• Options
    IMO, in a ideal world, on-site proctoring should be the norm. But now.. remote proctoring is a real bonus as in addition to be safe from COVID-19, I can save almost 4h of commute time (2h each way). 
  • Options
    DJVeritasDJVeritas Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Love the idea, BUT... From the reviews I've read on the system it's buggy. You install a plugin that requires you to constantly adjust the lighting, audio, ports are disabled, etc.  Not to mention the privacy issues this creates...
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the ITIL foundation exam last year and had at least 10 disconnections during the exam.

For some ISACA certificates "CYBERSECURITY AUDIT CERTIFICATE"  they state that if you have any disconnection the exam is terminated and you fail!.

So, I think having the exam at home transfer the exam issues risks from the exam center to you.

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have done quite a few exams with remote proctoring, through both ProctorU and Examity, as part of my degree at WGU. The process was pretty thorough. They require you to display the entire area around you, under the desk, under the keyboard, under the mouse pad, etc. They also go through your running tasks, to ensure nothing inappropriate is running on the computer.

Connection wise, I only once had an issue, and a new proctor was assigned. If something seems off, they will interrupt you, and go through the entire process again. I only think I was interrupted once, and that was because I yelled at the dog. They wanted to verify that there wasn't someone else in the room. 

Overall, I really liked the system. It gave much greater flexibility, particularly with available time slots. Since I was accelerating my degree, that was fairly important. There was an initial discomfort with being watched, but I got over that pretty quickly. Can the system be manipulated? Absolutely. Then again, I don't think any system is foolproof.

Given the current circumstances with COVID-19, I think this is a great step forward.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember taking the LFCS proctored exam and any time I whispered or said something to myself, the annoying proctor was telling me to "shhhh" that I could not speak to myself. I guess they don't want you reading questions allowed to a recorder or something?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took a bunch of remote proctored exams through WGU years ago and they were all fine, I know not everyone has the same experience. I took an Azure exam within the last 6 months that was also remote and the setup took forever. Move the camera all around, they kept messaging my phone and then asking me to put my phone across the room each time. But, at least once they started I didn't hear or see a peep from them and it was smooth enough. 
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I took AZ-900 proctored, they requested I remove the power cables from the outlets where the TV was plugged in. I almost unplugged the power strip where the modem was located lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    My GIAC exam expire on June 15th,  my closest center is canceling all my date and they are not "available".  The other testing center is in Montreal where is the main COVID-19 epicenter in QC.  I am just hoping that I could register to do it with Proctor-U, but they dont offer the option for now...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My GIAC exam expire on June 15th,  my closest center is canceling all my date and they are not "available".  The other testing center is in Montreal where is the main COVID-19 epicenter in QC.  I am just hoping that I could register to do it with Proctor-U, but they dont offer the option for now...
    Reach out to GIAC/SANS. On the advisory board mailing list they said they're targeting people with near expiring vouchers to be the earliest testers and then extending it from there.
  • Options
    Thanks you! I will contact them today
  • Options
    srothmansrothman Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WhiteMilk said:

I am still waiting for ISC2.
    I would love for this, but doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    I reached GIAC support. : 

All candidates will be afforded the opportunity to schedule via ProctorU prior to their deadline. If you are unable, please reach back out so that I may assist further at that time.

I should be ok then :) I will wait until May 18th to schedule it..

• Options
    charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just scheduled my GPEN. I’m hoping proctor u will be better than ISACA’s psi’s secure browser. Talk about a nightmare. 
    Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE
  • Options
    @charismaticx Did you receive an email from GIAC or Proctor-U to offer you the opportunity to register? In my account, I cannot chose Proctor-U as my proctor.
  • Options
    I received the email from SANS allowing me to do so. It redirected to the proctor-U go schedule the exam. 
  • Options
    I received this email a few minutes ago.. I will be able to schedule it
  • Options
    After taking GPEN, I have to admit the remote test proctoring experience was good. I had very little issues and it was more straight forward than other test proctors. You don't need to show up 30 minutes prior like the other test proctors. Proctor Vue will guide you through the procedures every step of the way. 
  • Options
    @charismaticx Does the labs engine work as well as the practice test?
  • Options
    What do you mean by that? I actually think the vm they provide for the question was easier to view this time than the labs. They didn’t make it as difficult this time. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    My question was more about the UI and usage than difficulty of the question.
  • Options
    The questions are very similar to what’s in the labs.