Options

How to become a database admin ?

UngadungaDiabloUngadungaDiablo Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious if im on the right track, im currently studying the 70-761 MSCA SQL server course through cbtnuggets.com . I have take an SQL course at my University, unfortunately the one SQL course is the only one they have to offer other wise i would have taken more. This is the last few weeks of the semester for me, my degree ill have in a BS in computer networking, but computer networking to me is very boring, not enjoyable at all. I figured i would still aim to obtain the new CCNA just as a back up in case i end up finding a job in the CCNA world despite my disliking for it, a jobs a job. I have never held an IT job, i have no real world experience, a concern i have of trying to see what could happen jumping into the SQL world is the additonal skills i see that go along with a job search for "sql"
for example.

Required Skills:

• VB.NET <------------------ I dont know VB.NET
  • Visual Basic 6 <------------------- I dont know visual basic
  • Strong SQL skills
  • .Net C# <-------------------- I have taken 2 semesters of C++, beneficial, but not a fan at all.
  • Deep WinForms knowledge <------------------ I dont know
  • Experience with basic Design Patterns
  • Strong Object-Oriented fundamentals and expertise
  • Ability to juggle multiple projects and course correct as business drivers change
  • Strong attention to detail

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did a quick job search for "junior DBA." Of the eight listings, one wanted 8+ years DBA experience, one 5+years, one 3+ years, one 2-4 years. As for the others, I think the job poster probably forgot to write it in.

This is kind of what I expected, that DBA is not so easy to break into going from zero experience. If you love becoming a DBA, one path might be to get a job as a tech in a small business (jr sys admin type work). This way you can put your hands on most of the technologies at the company (and the DBs), since it might just be you and 2 or 3 other people. Then get experience for the resume that way.

Breaking a database can ruin a company, so they usually don't just throw someone with zero experience into the role.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    UngadungaDiabloUngadungaDiablo Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @yoba222, i appreciate the input, maybe im overthinking this, but i hear you say aim for sys admin, i then do research on sys admin certs = MTA, MCSA , MSCE , MSCD. So i shouldnt or should continue studying for the MSCA SQL cert vs the other MCSA version  even though i want to learn the concepts of the MSCA SQL Server cert ?
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @yoba222 is right, especially if you haven't gotten that first IT gig yet. It will be very tough, if not impossible, to get a DB job without experience. Get that first IT job to get your foot in the door and get those basics down, hopefully at a place where you can get some junior hands-on work with DB's and SQL. In my first IT position, I worked for a small NPO (just 2 IT folks) and I had lots of opportunities to learn and mess with stuff I didn't think I would touch for years, including databases. If you're passionate about that stuff, don't stop gaining that knowledge! But, you may have to start with a junior/entry-level position to get some IT experience first.