Options

Mile2 Certifications - Thoughts?

srothmansrothman Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm seeing Mile2 pop up more and more in discussions on other boards, and figured I'd hear some opinions on the quality and value of these credentials.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can't really talk about the quality of the certification, but the on-demand training materials weren't great, in my opinion.  Your mileage may vary, of course, but I just wasn't impressed. I am not a huge fan of the e-book format (faux page turns are a turn off for me) and the videos weren't very engaging.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    stkirbystkirby Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited August 2020
    I refer to my CISSO as a "dollar store CISSP".   It covers most of the same ground as the CISSP and was developed by Kevin Henry, who also was/is a key player in developing the CISSP.   The CISSO obviously isn't anywhere near the CISSP as a credential, though. I'm glad I've got the CISSO.  I'm equally glad I bought the voucher on a Black Friday half price sale. The CISSO is not a cert that I would count on to open any doors.  I think most people would look at it and think/say, "That's nice.", then move on to the next line on my CV or LinkedIn profile.

I feel the same way about my other Mile2 certs (CPTE and CIHE).  They're not bad certs and I actually hold them in some regard, but I'm not under any illusions that they're going to make a huge difference to a prospective employer.  They won't hurt anything, to be sure, but I mostly got them because I wanted a credential and didn't want (or need) to pay for a GIAC or E-Council cert at this stage of my career.  A younger person might not feel so generous.

Mile2's training needs a lot of polish, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    How many current job postings are asking for Mile2's certs?
  • Options
    SuperelfeSuperelfe Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've completed a few mile2 certifications. Additional I've complete CISSP and CISA and several others. When I compare all together the courses with mile2 in level 400 are absolutly similar to other certifications; even with 20 years IT experience they are not easy. The courses are very clear and cover all areas in details. There is absolutly nothing negative to say about mile2.

You are right - no job postings with mile2 - but rember why - nobody knows about mile2 - others simply did better marketing. And who is posting jobs? HR manager - do you really expect that they know the different certificates? No they often type senseless job offers like: looking for a programmer, with C, Ruby, Phyton, working as network engeneer with experience in BGP, MLPS and OSPFv3 for doing support with Apple users, Windows users and maintaining Linux servers (SuSE, Red Hat and Gentoo). At least 20 years in business and not older than 25 years. So I did not expect from such persons they know only a little bit about IT qualification.

What I want to tell you: there is no big difference between the qualification, but mile2 points with a online lab and perfect customer service. Most authorities US know about mile2 and accept it without any problem similar to CISSP or CISA. When you want to work for government mile2 is a good choice. When you want to apply for a job posted by an unqualified HR manager you need an other certificate :D - but this is not the company I personally want to work at :D

Based on more than 54 different certificates I can tell you - mile2 is absolutly similar. mile2 points at government in US and with perfect customer service. On the other hand it is not well know outside the US and government sector.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    People have been asking about Mile2 certs here on TE for years and we really don't know much about them after all this time.
    The Mile2 website seems to be heavily marketed towards public sector and DoD, yet there are no Mile2 certs on the DoDD 8570 Baseline Certifications list.
    Mile2 cert names begin with "C)" and do not hit very often on job posting sites. Wildcard searches for "C)" also hit on "(ISC)2" so it's best to search for specific Mile2 certs, like C)ISSM.

I'd like to hear more from people with Mile2 certs--especially those working in the public sector.

• Options
    SuperelfeSuperelfe Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am working in gouvernment at state level and they are asking for mile2 cert.

To answer your question I have just bought the C)PEH from mile2. The course is absolutly complete, no missings in learning. I have requested the hacking lab and received the access details within a couple of hours. When I logged in into cyber lab I was provided with a huge amount of networks and machines for pentesting and hacking tests. All machines are powerful without any delay.

So - compared with ie. CISSP or CISA - I am again absolutly satisfied with mile2.

It depends on what you want to do - if you want to learn something and test your skills or if you simply want a certificate. For learning and skill check I think mile2 is perfect.

If you have specific questions I able to answer, because I have access for 7 days at mile2.

Ah ... and ... I forgot - the course is up to date - produced in 2021 and latest OS systems.