Options

Moving out of IT and back in

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just wondering if any members did this before?  I'm in a job I like a lot and plan on staying, but it's currently out of IT (sort of).  By choice due to the contracting scene getting decimated by Covid and I find it easier to land full time jobs on the business side, rather than the IT side.  Always seems like I have to spend a year working in a contract before being accepted.  

I'm still considered IT, but I work in supply chain and finance now.  So I'm not really IT more of a techno functional who's task are mainly around finance and supply chain. 

How did you end up in another role?  Did the job just evolve or did you get paid more money?
Were you able to get back into a IT group or was that it?

Comments

• Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was out of IT for a number of years but managed to get back in. It is a support desk role but it is a job. I think many employers are worried if someone is stagnated in their skills. This is were I think certs are good because it shows continual learning and you are still "involved".

Even though this Wuhan virus only looks to be causing upheaval right now, the flow on effects are going to be around for a while. This can be a good excuse if you want to move back to IT role later on. "Everyone" will understand if you had to be in another role for a while to put food on table
  • Options
    denisehiltondenisehilton Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually did. I switched my roles from Network engineer to Business Analyst. The pay rise was the major reason behind it. But after a couple of very unsatisfied years I moved back to IT management. And I learned a very important lesson that you should never leave your primary field.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited May 2020
    @denisehilton

I kind of like being an techno functional, you get a lot of praise and respect because most people don't know how to do technically things.  My primary job is to automate task and reports.....   Along with the finance and supply chain functions.  

I would agree about a BA position, I never liked those even though I had that title quite a bit.  I usually showed off my automation firepower and analysis skills and that was usually enough to pull me off the requirements gig. 
  • Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Long story, cut short. Graduated from college, got an entry level IT job and it was complete trash. I got let go because I was "not a good fit". Was out for about 3 1/2 to 4 years. Do what you can to NOT work in desktop support. It will suck your soul or turn you into a high functioning alcoholic or both.