Books to read to get ahead on Masters in Information Systems

GoodVibrationsGoodVibrations Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey folks,

New account here as my last one was lost in the migration.

I'm looking into the Masters in Information Systems program at DSU. Can't link it since I'm a new member however the core coursework looks like the following:
  • INFS 720 - System Analysis and Design Using Case Tools 3 credits
  • INFS 724 - Project and Change Management 3 credits
  • INFS 730 - Web Application Development 3 credits
  • INFS 750 - IT Infrastructure, Technology and Network Management 3 credits
  • INFS 760 - Enterprise Modeling and Data Management 3 credits
  • INFS 780 - Information Technology Strategy and Policy 3 credits
My work reimburses 10k/year for tuition, however I haven't reached the 1 year mark yet where I can take advantage of that so in the meantime, I want to more or less prepare for what I can beforehand so that I can "breeze" through it when I actually take the course.

I'm fairly certain the system analysis and design course is taught through the textbook Systems Analysis and Design by Dennis, Wixom and Roth and I plan to read that book.

Does anyone know what other books I'd likely have to read or I can use to prep beforehand? Could be Udemy courses/Youtube Playlists as well

Any info provided would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Check with your course mentor/advisor for a reading list that is aligned with the courses offered in that program.
  • GoodVibrationsGoodVibrations Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Check with your course mentor/advisor for a reading list that is aligned with the courses offered in that program.
    To clarify, I am not currently enrolled in DSU. I still have another 11 months to go before my tuition reimbursement is active so I'm tentatively aiming for Fall 2021 start date
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Online schools are so desperate for admits that an admissions counselor will probably give you the reading list. Alternately, check public discussions boards (e.g., reddit) for the program at DSU and ask what the course's reading list is.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This takes me back a good few years, as part of my MSc I had to do a ton of reading - mainly academic articles written by Wanda Orlikowski (the name I never forgot!) from MIT. Only later I really valued her work. Anyway, sorry to digress.... best thing to do is see if there is a reading list or simply google topics of interest and you will learn a lot by reading. Best of luck. I used scholar google too which had interesting articles.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to download the course syllabus for the instructor I knew I would have and look at the books prescribed in the prior semester. That said, this probably isn't useful for you since you don't have student access to the school's resources yet. If you can figure out which instructors are likely to teach the first courses, you might be able to email them directly.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP