Options

How to get into a certain field

misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
How can one get into certain fields if they don't have the work experience? I have a degree in MIS and I'm working as a computer tech.

My aspirations are getting into systems design/architecture. Can anyone give me hints on what to try to do to get some training or experience with systems design? I want to start somewhere but I don't know how.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Are you talking about hardware (EE) or software (CS) systems design/architecture? How much actual experience (work or academic) to do already have in this field?

The best initial experience for any subject comes from formal education. Enroll in a university, community college, or technical school program for the field you are interested. You'll learn the field, do internships, and build occupational networking contacts. Of course, this route takes years to complete.

The other way is to hire on to a company in one position, polish and prove your skills, and then transfer to the profession that you desire. EE techs become full engineers all the time. Some IT people become software developers, possibly via software testing first. It depends on the organization.