Options

Degree in Ethical hacking at the University of Abertay

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
This was all over the web news wires a few days ago, but it's of special interest to many members of TechExams.net:

THE UNIVERSITY of Abertay in Dundee [Scotland] is offering Briain's first degree course in computer hacking. The four-year degree, "Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures," will be on offer from this September [2006], and is designed to produce White Hat hackers, capable of working with businesses to defend their networks. The course will guide students through the intricacies of computer security systems and how to get round them, so that they can become the insecurity experts of tomorrow.

Applicants to the University of Abertay's new Ethical Hacking course will be subject to stringent background checks before being offered a place, to make sure they are not likely to abuse the knowledge they will gain.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32507

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/19/hackers_background/

http://www.abertay.ac.uk/Courses/CDetails.cfm?RID=1&CID=363&Key=002

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks I missed this but I like the bit about "subject to stringent background checks"

Aye cap'n does seem a wee bit strange; dunna know if eva-one cun keep the white hat clean. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though I vaguely remember someplace else in Europe offering something similar or maybe just considering offering it; Germany maybe??

I fully believe that heavy network warfare will work its way into future country conflicts. Wepons of mass deduction as it were.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    If I was in the area I would so take this course. I agree in the future, this will be a highly sought after individual. Countries wont need spy's anymore with computers.

Then again Certified ethical hacker is a comptia cert now too.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    Then again Certified ethical hacker is a comptia cert now too.
    Where did you see that? There's nothing on CompTIA's web site (http://certification.comptia.org/) about a new Ethical Hacker cert.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Doesn't sound correct to me either, are you referring to the Security+ exam? And if you foresee the future and CompTIA will release an Ethical Hacker+ cert, that doesn't sound 'good' either ;)
  • Options
    so that they can become the insecurity experts of tomorrow.
    Is that a spelling error in the press release?

Sounds like an awesome degree btw, as well as a guarantee for a good job afterwards.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    so that they can become the insecurity experts of tomorrow.
    Is that a spelling error in the press release?
    I noticed that too. I was going to put a "[sic]" by it, but then I realized that insecurity is the primary concern of an ethical hacker, so maybe the word was deliberately used.
  • Options
    so maybe the word was deliberately used.
    yeah I considered that option, and it does make sense. It's like they are underlining that you won't focus on how to secure things, but point out what needs to be secured, though it is called ethical hacking 'and' countermeasures. They should be able to produce some seriously skilled and knowledgeable professional in 4 years full-time education.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    They should be able to produce some seriously skilled and knowledgeable professional in 4 years full-time education.
    When I first saw this program I assumed it was a distance learning program, but I guess not. Too bad.

Still, my wife loves Scotland in the Summer time. Hmmmmm...
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif I assumed the same when I read your original post, but just couldn't find it on their site. Looks like a very nice environment to study and live. Maybe I can ask them for a couple of 'review copies' in return for a banner on our site ;)
  • Options
    We will have one of those too after the summer, about a 100 miles from my place:

icon_arrow.gifInternational Game Architecture and Design

icon_arrow.gifwww.nhtv-gameassessment.nl

It's a bachelors degree btw and entirely in English. I don't think they have any spots for next year though.