Options

where to start?

kyleblackkyleblack Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I am trying to get my ccna to get into the computer department where I work. I have always been intrested in computers, and have learned everything I could about mostly basic stuff. I know enough about networking to set my own network settings on XP. I work a basic job right now five days a week. I just need advice on what path to take to get my ccna. Where do i start? I bought a book set called ccna examination guide, but its about four inched thick, and thats only one of them. do i need to read them both cover to cover? I know i sound really lost and pathetic but ive made peace with that and just hope there is someone with kind words of wisdom for me. thanks
kyle
Kyle J. Black

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kyleblack wrote:
    I know enough about networking to set my own network settings on XP. I work a basic job right now five days a week. I just need advice on what path to take to get my ccna. Where do i start?
    Well... since you don't have much of a networking background, and maybe not much of an IT background, you might want to consider starting with the CompTIA Network+ certification.

It does overlap about 75% with the INTRO portion of the CCNA. The bad news, INTRO is only about 20-25% of the CCNA exam.
    kyleblack wrote:
    do i need to read them both cover to cover?
    It sounds like you might have the Odem set -- which you do want. But you'd also want to add the Sybex book to that -- along with a lot of hands on experience (home lab, or simulator as a last resort).

But yeah, cover to cover. Maybe twice.
    kyleblack wrote:
    I know i sound really lost and pathetic but ive made peace with that and just hope there is someone with kind words of wisdom for me. thanks
    Check out the "cisco newbie" thread from yesterday, the rest of the CCNA specific stuff you want to look at is in response there.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15345
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I started with really now knowledge of networking... and I have to say the sybex book is harder to follow if you dont know the terms.

Try this one. I have both and this one is really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789735199/qid=1151110040/sr=1-19/ref=sr_1_19/002-8286951-9621638?v=glance&s=books
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You really should start with Network +. Knowing how to set network settings in XP isn't really that impressive. There is more to networking than XP settings. There are ports, services, protocols and more. Network + is a really good start. Also, there is no such thing of knowing all the basics about everything. Once you think or feel you know everything you won't strive at achieving more knowledge. Always be humble with what you know. I say Network + then move on to CCNA.